Items in disabled items list - unknown excel addins causing probs

  1. #1
    Rich
    Guest

    Items in disabled items list - unknown excel addins causing probs

    On a particular workstation (Excel 2002) Excel is opening several Excel files
    of unknown origin and saying there has been an error opening some addin and
    to Check the About Excel Disabled Items list. Is this being caused by a
    virus? I unchecked all addins and don't have anything in XLstart or in
    XLator except for PP4X322.DLL and PP7X32.DLL which are present in all the
    workstations in my department. Is there a fix for this or do I have to
    re-install Office2002 on this machine?

    Thanks,
    Rich

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Items in disabled items list - unknown excel addins causing probs

    Why not try what it says.

    go to Excel Help menu, click on About Microsoft Office Excel and on the
    dialog in the lower right, click on disabled items.

    Try enabling them if it appears appropriate.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rich
    Guest

    Re: Items in disabled items list - unknown excel addins causing p

    I tried that. The thing is that when I turn on Excel, it will automatically
    start opening up all these workbooks and give some error messages about some
    addins that are not available, and then there is some dialog box with a list
    of Addin files that I have to click on an OK button to open. All I want to
    do is to open up Excel to a New workbook. And then click on the Open Icon to
    open up a saved workbook. Why are all these other workbooks being opened? I
    also ran Detect and Repair. I wonder if I need to rebuild my workstation, or
    re-install Office2002.

    Thanks for your reply.

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Items in disabled items list - unknown excel addins causing p

    After you get excel open, look in Tools=>Options, general tab.

    Look at your alternate start directory or in later versions "at start up,
    open all files in"

    If you have an entry here, that might be the source of your problem. Delete
    that entry if it isn't appropriate.

    If that doesn't fix it, then

    Also, any file in you xlstart directory is loaded at startup. there may be
    mutliple directories with this name in xl2002. Look in these directories
    and see what files are there. Any file there is opened when excel is
    started. You can move them somewhere else if they do not appear
    appropriate.

    Another think to check is in Tools=>Addins. Do you have a bunch of addins
    checked in this dialog? If so, uncheck those you don't need or don't
    recognize.

  5. #5
    Rich
    Guest

    Re: Items in disabled items list - unknown excel addins causing p

    Thanks very much. That was exactly the problem.

    "at start up, open all files in"

    So I emptied out that line. Now everything is back to normal.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Rich