Flipping a name

  1. #1
    Duncan_J
    Guest

    Flipping a name

    If I got column of names
    John Doe

    And what to change it to
    Doe, John

    Is thier a way of doing this?

    DJ

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Flipping a name

    Try something like

    Dim S As String
    Dim Pos As Integer
    S = Range("A1").Text
    Pos = InStr(1, S, " ")
    S = Mid(S, Pos + 1) & ", " & Left(S, Pos - 1)
    Range("A1").Value = S

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Duncan_J
    Guest

    RE: Flipping a name

    Thanks Jim but couldn't get the function to work...
    Thanks Trent. it works for the first one but it won't go to the next one and
    the whole coulmn

  4. #4
    Duncan_J
    Guest

    RE: Flipping a name

    Thanks Guys I got'em to work... Thanks for the help

  5. #5
    Trent Argante
    Guest

    RE: Flipping a name

    Duncan, I forgot to add that it is selection dependent (i.e., the user must
    manually select the range before executing the procedure).
    Otherwise, you (the developer) has to give the procedure a way to terminate.
    E.g.,
    ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Row
    returns the last row's index of the ActiveSheet.
    Thus:
    Dim lngCurrentRow as Long
    Range("<RangeID>").Select 'E.g. Range("A1").Select
    Do
    lngCurrentRow = lngCurrentRow + 1
    ActiveCell.Value = FormatName(ActiveCell.Value) 'This is from Jim
    Thomlinson's solution
    ActiveCell.Offset(1,0).Select 'This increments the cursor
    Loop until lngCurrentRow = ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Row

    --
    Trent Argante