Extracting Modules to Compressed Windows Folders

  1. #1
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Extracting Modules to Compressed Windows Folders

    Excel 2002 and Windows XP

    For brevity, let's say my D:\work folder is marked as compressed. When
    I save new .XLS files in it, they're compressed. When I use my text
    editor or Notepad to save new text files in it, they're also
    compressed. However, if I use the VBE to extract code modules into it,
    they're stored UNCOMPRESSED.

    This seems to be a nasty dependency between the VBE and Windows, at
    least for the specific versions I'm using. I don't want the VBE second
    guessing my OS file system settings, and this doesn't fill me with
    confidence that there aren't other hidden dependencies between the VBE
    and Windows.

    The paranoid cynic in me is tempted to believe that this was designed
    into the VBE to make using Excel 2002 more difficult using Windows
    emulators under other OSs. The jaded cynic in me believes that the VBE
    uses overly low level file system access to save .BAS files, but not
    necessarily with the intention of screwing up emulators, more likely
    due to laziness and bad systems programming.

  2. #2
    bigwheel
    Guest

    RE: Extracting Modules to Compressed Windows Folders

    "Harlan Grove" wrote:

    > Excel 2002 and Windows XP
    >
    > For brevity, let's say my D:\work folder is marked as compressed. When
    > I save new .XLS files in it, they're compressed. When I use my text
    > editor or Notepad to save new text files in it, they're also
    > compressed. However, if I use the VBE to extract code modules into it,
    > they're stored UNCOMPRESSED.
    >
    > This seems to be a nasty dependency between the VBE and Windows, at
    > least for the specific versions I'm using. I don't want the VBE second
    > guessing my OS file system settings, and this doesn't fill me with
    > confidence that there aren't other hidden dependencies between the VBE
    > and Windows.
    >
    > The paranoid cynic in me is tempted to believe that this was designed
    > into the VBE to make using Excel 2002 more difficult using Windows
    > emulators under other OSs. The jaded cynic in me believes that the VBE
    > uses overly low level file system access to save .BAS files, but not
    > necessarily with the intention of screwing up emulators, more likely
    > due to laziness and bad systems programming.

    Is there a question here?

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Extracting Modules to Compressed Windows Folders

    "bigwheel" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >Is there a question here?

    Only yours. Newsgroups aren't just for Q&A.