missing buttons

  1. #1

    missing buttons

    Excel2000 on Win2000:

    I have created a toolbar that contains two buttons, assigned to two
    macros that I've also created. I've saved all this in a .xls file
    because it's supposed to serve as a boilerplate for a non-technical
    user to create many similar spreadsheets. The idea is that she can open
    this file, make her changes, and save under a different name.
    Eventually she'll pass these spreadsheets on to even less-technical
    users, and it is they who will actually use my buttons.

    Problem: when I open this boilerplate file on my own machine it's fine.
    When I send it to colleagues around the office for testing, they do
    have access to the macros (via Tools->Macro->Macros), and the macros
    work, and they do have the toolbar...BUT the toolbar is empty. No
    buttons.

    A twist: this boilerplate's sheets are all password-protected, to
    prevent the downstream users from changing any of the locked cells
    (which is most of them).

    I'm much more familiar with VBA programming in MSWord. The Excel
    environment is more mysterious to me, so maybe I'm missing something
    obvious. I've googled 'til my eyes are sore and haven't hit anything
    that seems to fit this problem. Any ideas, anyone?
    TIA---

  2. #2
    filo666
    Guest

    RE: missing buttons

    try:

    tools ->toolbars -> customized -> click on attach button
    and copy the toolbars to the toolbars in workbook field¡¡¡
    HTH

  3. #3
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: missing buttons

    I have not done any Word programming in a few years but here is the gist of
    things. Creating a toolbar or menu itme should be essentially the same in
    either language. Post some code so we have have a quick look... Do you create
    the toolbar at addin instal or just where...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  4. #4

    Re: missing buttons

    I did attach the toolbar to the worksheet, as suggested by the other
    poster...it's just the buttons that won't show up.

    I'm not creating the toolbar via code, nor am I creating an add-in.
    Should I be? I'm just creating the toolbar in the Excel interface and
    saving the spreadsheet. Evidently the buttons that are attached to the
    toolbar are saved elsewhere than in the spreadsheet itself.

    I do need a solution whereby the main user and the downstream users
    simply see a toolbar with two buttons...they don't have to do anything
    to make them appear. I have no access to or contact with the downstream
    users. So I can write some code that creates the toolbar...but then the
    users would have to run that code, which they basically would not know
    how to do.

    Thanks for (continuing, I hope) help!