Excel 2003 Macro Certificate Failure - Help!

  1. #1
    Bill@DOT
    Guest

    Excel 2003 Macro Certificate Failure - Help!

    Hello,

    I have an Excel 2003 spreadsheet/VBA application that is used to export data
    to customers from a central database. The spreadsheet includes VBA macros
    that facilitate viewing of the spreadsheet and allow the customer to modify
    data. The macros are signed using an Office 2003 digital signature. The
    workbook data is not signed.

    The spreadsheet also includes an upload function that emails a spreadsheet
    (that was modified by the customer) back to a central mailbox where I use a
    SQL server, ISQL, C# batch application to automatically extract the data and
    update our database. After extracting the spreadsheet from an uploaded email
    message, the automated process opens the spreadsheet with an argument that
    tells it to self-extract its data to a text file. The extracted data is then
    loaded into SQL server for processing.

    This process has been working great until recently. I added a few new edit
    routines that aren't even executed when the problem occurs. Now when I
    attempt to do the self extraction process for an uploaded spreadsheet, I get
    the following error:

    "The macros in this file do not match the digital signature. Only a macro
    virus would cuse this. Please scan for viruses, and notify the publisher of
    this document. Macros will be disabled."

    I'm pretty sure this is not a virus. I've created 2 test spreadsheets,
    Test1.xls and Test2.xls, that will demonstrate this problem (email me if
    you'd like copies of these spreadsheets). The spreadsheet's macros are signed
    with an Office 2003 digital certificate. The only difference between the two
    spreadsheets is that Module1 in Test1.xls contains 5 Subs and 1 Function.
    Only the first 2 Subs are actually executed in the test. Test2.xls only
    contains the first 2 Subs.

    To run the test, you open one of the spreadsheets, click Do Test, close the
    spreadsheet, click Yes when promted to save the changes and then reopen the
    spreadsheet. Test1.xls gets the above errror. Test2.xls does not get the
    above error. Again, the only difference between Test1.xls and Test2.xls is
    that the last 4 routines that are in Test1.xls Module1 are not in Test2.xls
    Module1 and these routines are not executed when Do Test is clicked.

    It doesn't make any sense why this would be happening. Help!

  2. #2
    Jerry N
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 Macro Certificate Failure - Help!

    Bill-
    I believe it might be due to the default Office 2003 VBA security settings
    that "do not trust unsigned VBAapplications" by default. You can download
    the free Microsoft Office Resource Kit (ORK) at:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX011511471033.aspx
    to allow you to easily change the Office 2003 VBA security settings.
    Jerry

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bill@DOT
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 Macro Certificate Failure - Help!

    Thanks Jerry,

    I downloaded ORK.exe and installed the resource Kit. The CHM file for Office
    2003 is a bit stingy on information. Can you steer me to a file that will
    help with the Office 2003 VBA security settings?

    Also, if this is a security sentting issue, why would I be able to prevent
    the error I'm getting simply by deleting routines in my VBA code that aren't
    even executed? Is this a "feature"? If it is, its not a very friendly
    feature.

  4. #4
    Jerry N
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 Macro Certificate Failure - Help!

    Bill-
    The following KB article will show you how to use ORK to change the VBA
    security settings. I run an Excel data acquisition program using VBA. We
    just upgraded to office 2003, and I had this VBA security problem on every
    computer in the orgazination that I tried to use with my acquisition
    program. Using ORK to change the settings is a little cumbersome; I have a
    registry modification script file that is much easier to use and I can send
    it to you if you wish.
    Jerry
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817112