Excel Workbook - Simultaneous Use

  1. #1

    Excel Workbook - Simultaneous Use

    I created a UserForm where the user inputs data for a record onto the
    form. When they press a button, the record is loaded onto an excel
    worksheet that exists on the same file as the form. The form inserts
    one record at a time on the next empty row.

    Is there a way for more than one user to simultaneously use a
    centralized version of this form/workbook to populate new rows of data
    into excel?

    Each user would work from different locations. They'd access the
    centralize workbook, type in their record, then press enter. Currently,
    if two people are using the centralized form at the same time, only
    select entries are saved. I want all entries to be saved, one beneath
    the next on the worksheet.

    Does anyone have a solution? I find it hard to believe that Excel would
    have form capability without having a way for people to use the form
    simulaneously. What, if anything, am I missing? Thanks all.

    Michael

  2. #2
    Paul Martin
    Guest

    Re: Excel Workbook - Simultaneous Use

    Hi Michael

    I spent some time on this a few months ago but could not implement it
    (maybe someone else has/can). In the end, I had to go with separate
    workbooks which I merged when needed. A database (eg Access) may be
    the way to go.

    Regards

    Paul Martin
    Melbourne, Australia

  3. #3
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Excel Workbook - Simultaneous Use

    Hi Michael

    Form capabilities are just as useful in single user environments.

    Second Paul, this is database work, not spreadsheet work. Keep the form in
    Excel if you like, but make it read-write data to a central database file,
    not to a/the Excel workbook.

    HTH. Best wishes Harald

    <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Excel Workbook - Simultaneous Use

    Harald and Paul, thank you so much for your input. Harald, do I
    understand you to say that everyone can use a centralized excel-based
    form where a single Access database is populated by each user
    simultaneously (instead of an excel spreadsheet)?

    If so, how can I implement this front-end excel form application with a
    back-end access database? Can I recall data from the back-end database
    to the front-end excel form for review and revision?

    Thanks again, guys.

    Michael

  5. #5
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Excel Workbook - Simultaneous Use

    Hi Michael

    In short: yes. One access file, one single access license, tons of users
    reading and writing data to it from excel userforms.

    I use ADO and VBA code to read/write data to these things. See
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...sdatabases.asp