webquery with login first

  1. #1

    webquery with login first

    Hi,
    I need to access a table of financial quotes on yahoo finance. it has a
    table format that is only available to members (if you type in its URL
    while not logged in you get a format without the fields i want). so i
    first created the code to login and that works fine. then i had the
    code for the webquery. the problem is that the webquery tries to access
    the webpage without using the open connection, that has logged in. so
    the webquery's connection hasn't logged in, and has no access to the
    table in the format i want.

    I am trying to avoid the solution of being automatically logged in to
    yahoo and just using the webquery itself.

    Can anyone tell me how the webquery can open the desired page from the
    open connection that is logged in? or how to login with the webquery
    itself, and then navigate to the page i want and download the table in
    the format i want?

    thank you very much for your help,

    Ian

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: webquery with login first

    If you give me your url and parameters I will try to resolve this for you. I
    am a yahoo member and also a member of xltraders.
    [email protected] <[email protected]>
    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: webquery with login first

    Thanks for the help Don,

    The URL is "http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?d=v1&s=+GM+F". i would like
    the date, open, high, low, close and volume. If i was logged in this
    URL would show those fields directly in the table, b/c that is my
    defualt quote view.

    I am aware that one solution is to click on "download spreadsheet"
    which will convert yahoo's standard quote view into one with the fields
    i wanted. But i am trying to resolve this problem by using the login
    method described in my earlier post b/c i expect this problem to come
    up again with other websites that require me to log in to get their
    data.

    Thanks again,

    Ian

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: webquery with login first

    I have two FREE excel files you will like. Goto xltraders and look for
    donaldb36 as author and download. One for quotes and one for history.

  5. #5

    Re: webquery with login first

    sounds good. thanks.
    i searched for XLTraders and any variation of that on:
    and found nothing.
    how can i find the group you belong to?

  6. #6

    Re: webquery with login first

    I am still looking for a solution to the above problem that involves
    using a web query to download data from a webpage that is only
    accessible once you have logged onto the site.
    I expect to incounter this problem with another site where it will have
    to be solved this way.
    If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.
    thank you
    Ian

  7. #7
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: webquery with login first

    go here>goto files
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xltraders/

  8. #8

    Re: webquery with login first

    i checked out the group. lots of interesting stuff.
    your work is really good. nice formatting too.
    but without the VBA code i can't integrate it with the work i am
    doing.

    I'll check out the group in more detail in a while, it seems like a
    great resource!
    thanks