ADO - closed workbook - Named range

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    ADO - closed workbook - Named range

    Looked in the tips section and found the code at beneath...

    ..it doesn't return a bean.
    It's fine apart from the range part!!! Anyone got any ideas?

    Option Explicit

    Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
    ' fill ListBox1 with data from a closed workbook
    ' can also be used from other applications to read data from an open workbook
    Dim tArray As Variant
    tArray = ReadDataFromWorkbook("C:\Test\Broker Disclosure\RD.xls", "LIST")
    FillListBox Me.ListBox1, tArray
    Erase tArray
    End Sub

    Private Function ReadDataFromWorkbook(SourceFile As String, _
    SourceRange As String) As Variant
    ' requires a reference to the Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects library
    ' (menu Tools, References in the VBE)
    ' if SourceRange is a range reference:
    ' this function can only return data from the first worksheet in SourceFile
    ' if SourceRange is a defined name reference:
    ' this function can return data from any worksheet in SourceFile
    ' SourceRange must include the range headers
    ' examples:
    ' varRecordSetData = _
    ReadDataFromWorkbook("C:\FolderName\SourceWbName.xls", "A1:A21")
    ' varRecordSetData = _
    ReadDataFromWorkbook("C:\FolderName\SourceWbName.xls", "A1:B21")
    ' varRecordSetData = _
    ReadDataFromWorkbook("C:\FolderName\SourceWbName.xls", "DefinedRangeName")
    Dim dbConnection As ADODB.Connection, rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Dim dbConnectionString As String
    dbConnectionString = _
    "DRIVER={Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls)};ReadOnly=1;DBQ=" & SourceFile
    Set dbConnection = New ADODB.Connection
    On Error GoTo InvalidInput
    dbConnection.Open dbConnectionString ' open the database connection
    Set rs = dbConnection.Execute("[" & SourceRange & "]")
    On Error GoTo 0
    ReadDataFromWorkbook = rs.GetRows
    ' returns a two dim array with all records in rs
    dbConnection.Close ' close the database connection
    rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    Set dbConnection = Nothing
    On Error GoTo 0
    Exit Function
    InvalidInput:
    MsgBox "The source file or source range is invalid!", _
    vbExclamation, "Get data from closed workbook"
    Set rs = Nothing
    Set dbConnection = Nothing
    End Function

    Private Sub FillListBox(lb As MSForms.ListBox, RecordSetArray As Variant)
    ' fills lb with data from RecordSetArray
    Dim r As Long, c As Long
    With lb
    .Clear
    For r = LBound(RecordSetArray, 2) To UBound(RecordSetArray, 2)
    .AddItem
    For c = LBound(RecordSetArray, 1) To UBound(RecordSetArray, 1)
    .List(r, c) = RecordSetArray(c, r)
    Next c
    Next r
    .ListIndex = -1 ' no item selected
    End With
    End Sub

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    sorted it.

  3. #3
    Aonghus
    Guest

    Re: ADO - closed workbook - Named range

    Hey Matt, I am doing the same thing here but I have difficulty with the range
    name as you did, could you tell me how you fixed it. I want my range to be
    "usedrange" of a worksheet. I've only been working with macros for a few
    months now so my programming abilities are a bit basic,
    Cheers