Record update date in cell

  1. #1
    Phil Hageman
    Guest

    Record update date in cell

    Cell AV17 holds data that is periodically updated. In cell AV18 I need a
    formula to have the date of the AV17 update automatically inserted. What
    would the formula be?

  2. #2
    Phil Hageman
    Guest

    RE: Record update date in cell

    Hi Patrick,

    I put the code in the worksheet VBA, and received the following compile
    error: "Ambiguous name detected" Worksheet_Change." The first line of code
    is highlighted yellow. Where did I go wrong?

    Thanks, Phil

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Record update date in cell

    You can only have one change event in a sheet module. sounds like you
    already have one there, so you would have to modify that to also perform
    this additional action.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Phil Hageman
    Guest

    RE: Record update date in cell

    Hi Tom,

    You are exactly right - there are two in this worksheet code page , below.
    Could you tell me how to combine the two?

    Thanks, Phil

    Option Explicit
    On Error GoTo Errorhandler
    If Target.Address = "$M$7" Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Worksheets("Strategy Map").TextBox1.Value = Target.Value
    End If
    Errorhandler:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy

  6. #6
    Phil Hageman
    Guest

    Re: Record update date in cell

    Hi Tom,

    This works exactly as needed. I think Excel is selecting the cell AZ17 to
    put the date answer (for the second part of the sub). Can you make the code
    place the date answer in cell AV18?

    Thanks, Phil

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Record update date in cell

    I would have said AW17, but this should do AV18

    Option Explicit
    On Error GoTo Errorhandler
    If Target.Address = "$M$7" Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Worksheets("Strategy Map").TextBox1.Value = Target.Value
    End If
    If Target.Address = "$AV$17" Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Target.Offset(1, 0) = Format$(Now, "dd/mm/yy")

  8. #8
    Phil Hageman
    Guest

    Re: Record update date in cell

    Tom,

    I'm sorry about this, but I don't know what you mean. Here is what's
    hapening (these are merged cells):

    AR17 AV17 AZ17
    Actual 90% 6/06/05 (AV17 is the updated cell. AZ17 is now
    autopopulated)

    AR18 AV18 AZ18
    Update

    What I need:

    AR17 AV17 AZ17 (AV17 is the updated cell)
    Actual 90%

    AR18 AV18 AZ18
    Update 6/06/05 (AV18 should autopopulate with the date, not
    AZ17)

    Thanks, Phil

  9. #9
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Record update date in cell

    Guess you didn't try the revised code, and this is the first mention of
    merged cells. Nonetheless, let's be more specific

    Option Explicit
    On Error GoTo Errorhandler
    If Target.Address = "$M$7" Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Worksheets("Strategy Map").TextBox1.Value = Target.Value
    End If
    If Target.Address = "$AV$17" Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Range("AV18").Value = Format$(Now, "dd/mm/yy")

    ,

  10. #10
    Phil Hageman
    Guest

    Re: Record update date in cell

    Tom,

    Sorry for the confusion - working exactly as needed.

    Phil

  11. #11
    Andy
    Guest

    Re: Record update date in cell

    Hi Tom,

    How do I use the code to work for the range of cells. I have 16 page long
    data to update the date when some cells are changed.

    Example:

    from
    C8 D8 E8 .... T8

    C8 D8 E8 .... T8
    X X X 7/7/05

    And same down the row up to like row 500 or so..

    Thanks for your help

  12. #12
    Alan Johnson
    Guest

    RE: Record update date in cell

    Here is my porblem I have taken a job overseas in Nigeria and I have been
    confronted with a worksheet that has over 19000 lines and I am converting
    that into an Access data base.No problem there. The problem is the forwarding
    company sends us info thru this spreadsheet and does not tell us what lines
    they have added or updated. It is extremely hard for us to compare that many
    lines as they send this report once a month. I want to give them a formula
    that each time they change the row in any way that there is an automatic date
    inserted on a column. Is this possible.

  13. #13
    cterry
    Guest

    RE: Record update date in cell

    Did you post this in 2005 or 2006? The date says 2006, so I will assume an
    answer might still be relevent.

    Establish a unique index in your Access table that so that you can import
    the information from the Excel file without creating duplicate records, but
    can add the updated rows.

    Then, run a "find duplicates" query on the Access table using criteria that
    remains the same between old and updated records (for example, row number,
    product type, etc). This will produce a table that contains the old and
    updated records. Peruse and delete at your leisure.

    If you want to update the Access table with only the new information, I
    believe you can use an update query.

    -Chris