sequential numbering

  1. #1

    Arrow sequential numbering

    I have an excel sheet with in the first column A

    01.
    01.01
    01.02
    01.03
    01.03.01
    01.03.02
    02.
    02.01

    etc....

    I need a way to somehow check if the sequence is always upcounting like for example if there's somewhere an error like

    02.01
    02.01

    or 02.01, 02.03 this will be corrected by a formula or macro or... whatever, just a way to correct this

    note: also the format has to stay xx.xx.xx.xx

  2. #2
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: sequential numbering

    There are two approaches depending on how many times the operation needs
    to be performed.

    If you need to check many sheets over and over again, then the best way
    is a macro. (see below). If you're just dealing with a one-time work
    sheet, merely temporarily insert an additional column with a test such as:

    =IF(B5=B6,1,0)

    Then use a copy + paste special to replace the formulas with the values
    generated by the formulas, and finally a sort on those values to group
    together the redundant rows so they can be deleted.

    Macro design for repetitive applications

    It seems to me that you need to construct a macro to step through each
    cell (in the column) and when at each cell, to compare the contents of
    that cell with the contents of the cell below. If the contents are the
    two cells are the same, then the macro needs to delete the redundant row.

    If you can't find an example of a macro for stepping through the cells
    of a worksheet or to determine the last active cell in the column of the
    worksheet, post another inquiry and someone will point you to the
    appropriate references.

    WindsurferLA

  3. #3

    thnks

    hello windsurfer la

    thanks for the info,

    If you can't find an example of a macro for stepping through the cells
    of a worksheet or to determine the last active cell in the column of the
    worksheet, post another inquiry and someone will point you to the
    appropriate references.

    the worksheet has to stay clean from formula's like you wrote, because after checking if the numbering goes well, it has to be imported again in a program and that program has to have numbers for import and not formula's

    so, the method with the macro is the best.

    I couldn't find a good example of a macro which steps through a worksheet and checks if the numbering is correct... so I need a littlebit more help on that part...

  4. #4

    Question anyone?

    anyone? i'm still looking for the answer