Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

problem when inserting or deleting cells

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor funkymonkUK's Avatar
    London, England

    Question problem when inserting or deleting cells

    HI I have a workbook which i am trying to either insert individual cells or entire rows/columns and get the following message:

    To prevent possible loss of data, Microsoft Excel cannot shift nonblank cells of the worksheet.

    Try to delete or clear the cells to the right and below your data. Then select cell A1, and save your workbook to reset the last cell used.?

    Or, you can move the data to a new location and try again.

    (OK BUTTON)

    What is this error message for and how do I get rid of it?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Good afternoon FunkymonkUK

    You have data in your worksheet that is stopping you from inserting rows/columns If you cannot insert a single row / column, then you have a value in cell IV65536. If you can't find it, delete all columns after your "last" column and all rows after your "last" row, and then try inserting a row. You'll probably find this cures it.

    Alternatively, try Edit > Go To, Special, Last Cell, OK should take you to it...

    HTH

    DominicB
    Last edited by dominicb; 06-21-2005 at 08:45 AM.

  3. #3
    Patrick Molloy
    Guest

    RE: problem when inserting or deleting cells

    what it means i sthat you haev data in column IV so that when you insert a
    column, the data in IV will be shifted off....
    either make sure that the last column is empty or try

    Application.DisplayAlerts = False

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor funkymonkUK's Avatar
    London, England

    Smile

    Thanks that helped me, what i found was all the cells were hidden except a1:x44
    now what had happened as in the hide rows the back ground colour as chosen right up to column IV therefore everytime I inserted row/cloumn it would bring up this error.

    I then just formatted the cells involved as no background and it works great now thanks a lot

Closed Thread