Pointers??

  1. #1

    Pointers??

    G'day,
    this q is also posted elsewhere, but all help needed...I am trying to set a pointer so that when data is added to a blank cell the next blank cell is selected. (not nesscarily the next cell in turn)

    Thanx

    JC

  2. #2
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: Pointers??

    If you mean data entry flow, you can archive that with:

    locking all cells that are not data entry,
    protecting the sheet
    now you can TAB through all unlocked cells.

    BTW Excel tabs from left to right and then down.

    Note that while actually entering something in a cell, ALL OTHER
    ACTIONS ARE SUSPENDED. So actually doing something while editing in a
    cell is impossoble in XL.

    DM Unseen

  3. #3
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Pointers??

    Hi, try this in the worksheet module:

    Target.End(xlDown).Offset(1, 0).Select
    End Sub

    "OzziJC" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Cheers

    Have already locked sheet it is in the TAB direction i am trying to change. ie some times i need to be able to press TAB and move down, other times i can tab to right. Thought there might by somethging to direct tab function to next cell required rather than default setting..

    Thanx

    JC

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Pointers??

    I doubt that there are any settings that will tab left sometimes and
    othertimes tab down without you specifying when the change should be made.
    You might select the cells in the order you want to tab to them, then if you
    tab within the selection, the order will be maintained.

    Tom Ogilvy

  6. #6
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Pointers??

    JC,

    What was wrong with my solution, and using enter or arrow key? I tested it
    and it worked. Was there some background to this which expanded on the
    circumstances, but appeared in a different post?

    Thanks for shedding light.

    Bill

  7. #7
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: Pointers??

    Bill,

    I think your solution implied the next cell to change is 1 below the
    edited cell.

    That said, your soluition can be edited to help Ozzi with his quest:

    Ozzi,

    You cannot tell excel for Each Cell where to go to next (as Tom
    Stated).

    Using Tom's idea you could write something like

    Range("A1,C5,B9,A2").Select

    After this TAB will follow your cell order (so first A1 then C5).

    Bill's solution would be something like:

    Dim strNewCell as string
    Select case Target.Address
    case "A1" strNewCell = "C5"
    case "C5" strNewCell = "B9"
    end select

    Range(strNewCell).Select

    End Sub

    Note this way has more possibilities, but needs more code

    DM Unseen

  8. #8
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Pointers??

    not so ... although I did pick one direction (down) I do go past every
    non-empty cell on the way down to the next blank cell. Thanks for hanging
    with this DM (do you go by another name ? :-) , I am learning the ropes
    here...

    Bill

    if you
    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: Pointers??

    Bill,
    sorry you're right your code skips non emtpy cells downwards.

    Stll, I suspect Ozzi looks for a TAB order in cell editing

    DM Unseen AKA M. Evers (I just love my nick, and since I use google I
    have no sig so I keep it short)