Show/Hide Columns

  1. #1
    StephanieH
    Guest

    Show/Hide Columns

    I want my user to be able to show or hide several columns in my worksheet.
    If they are already hidden, they should unhide and vice versa. The following
    will unhide hidden columns, but will not hide unhidden columns. What am I
    doing wrong?

    Private Sub Detail_Click()
    ' Show/Hide Detail

    If Columns("B:Y").Hidden = False Then
    Columns("B:Y").Hidden = True
    Range("a1").Activate
    End If

    If Columns("B:Y").Hidden = True Then
    Columns("B:Y").Hidden = False
    Range("a1").Activate

  2. #2
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: Show/Hide Columns

    Use EntireRow and EntireColumn

    e.g. Range("B:Y").EntireColumn.Hidden = true

    DM Unseen

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Show/Hide Columns

    Try this, Stephanie:

    Sub Detail_Click()
    ' Show/Hide Detail

    If Columns("B:C").Hidden = False Then
    Columns("B:C").Hidden = True
    Else
    If Columns("B:C").Hidden = True Then
    Columns("B:C").Hidden = False
    Range("a1").Activate

    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Show/Hide Columns

    Your code first hides visible columns, then unhides invisible columns.
    You could try an If...Then...Else...End If structure:

    Private Sub Detail_Click()
    ' Show/Hide Detail
    If Columns("B:Y").Hidden = False Then
    Columns("B:Y").Hidden = True
    Else
    Columns("B:Y").Hidden = False
    End If
    Range("a1").Activate
    End Sub

    or you could "toggle" between hidden and not hidden:

    Private Sub Detail_Click()
    ' Show/Hide Detail
    With Columns("B:V")
    .Hidden = Not .Hidden
    End With
    End Sub

    In article <[email protected]>,

  5. #5
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Show/Hide Columns

    I'll just keep answering wrong and lame, and you just keep teaching me,
    okay, JE?
    This is only about the 4th or 5th question in the last 24 hours where I've
    learned...
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Show/Hide Columns

    Columns("B:Y").Hidden = Not Columns("B:Y").Hidden

    Bob Phillips

  7. #7
    StephanieH
    Guest

    Re: Show/Hide Columns

    Works perfectly. Thanks.

  8. #8
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Show/Hide Columns

    Well, first, your code wasn't wrong. It wasn't as efficient as mine, but
    the primary consideration should be: does it work when you test it.

    Second - posting your solutions is a *great* way to learn. There's
    nothing like coming up with a workable answer and posting it, only to
    find someone else has posted a different, perhaps more elegant answer
    that you can compare it to and learn from. Happens to me all the time...

  9. #9
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Show/Hide Columns

    LOL, JE. I have perhaps 30,000 posts in forums "upstairs" (I always see the
    newsgroups as some kind of basement. I dunno why!). There is no end to
    learning. Now, if I could just figure out how to quit losing the threads
    here in the newsgroups, I'd get a lot more posts down here!

    Thanks for teaching me!