Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

  1. #1
    Alain79
    Guest

    Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

    In a big Excel xla application I have some functions that goal is just to
    detect if the character "§" is not in a string inside a specifc cell - up to
    now no problem...

    This .xla Addin application is distributed on several countries - most of PC
    running the application are
    => either Win2000 US plus Office 2000 US
    => or Win 2000 US plus office 2003 US
    => or Win XP US plus Office 2003 US

    Problem description: on some machine (only a few), the xla application
    cannot be compiled, in fact if you open the microsoft visual basic editor,
    you can see that the "§" character has been replaced by a "?" that produces
    the compiler problem...

    Have you an idea for the reason of this behaviour?
    We have already made an analysis of the code page conversion table of the PC
    that have the problem and have seen that its content was identical to
    another PC without any problem...

    Thanks if you can help
    Alain

  2. #2
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

    Would it help to search for CHR(167) instead of actually identifying the "§"
    symbol?

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Alain79
    Guest

    Re: Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

    Why not - good idea indeed
    But have you an idea about why one specific machine present this strnge
    behaviour
    Because as long as I do not understand the reason I can have to face the
    same problem with other characters such as with "é"
    Thanks for your suggestion
    Alain

    "William Benson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:e$pvj5%[email protected]...
    > Would it help to search for CHR(167) instead of actually identifying the

    "§"

  4. #4
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

    Sorry Alain, I do not know -- I will eagerly watch the rest of this thread
    unfold as experts respond, which I know they will. This is the most
    responsive forum in the known universe... and any unknown universes probably
    couldn't match it either :-)

    Bill

  5. #5

    Re: Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

    I don't have a guess, but maybe a workaround...

    Use chr(167) instead of §.

  6. #6

    Re: Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

    whoops. Didn't see the existing replies.

  7. #7
    Alain79
    Guest

    Re: Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

    You and someone else suggested me to use CHR(167)
    I think my problem can be coming on how the computer "understand" the
    extended ASCII Codes
    If in this text I enter <ALT> 167 the character that is displayed is º and
    not §
    I have not yet found which combination on my own PC gives the character §
    At the moment I am looking at the internet site
    (http://www.lookuptables.com/) that present the supposed most popular usage
    of the Extended ASCII codes... I have tryed most of them but no one
    correspond to the char § while all are clearly provide me with the expected
    Character...
    I have the real feeling it should come form taht point - Have you an idea on
    how to control/access the extended ASCII Codes used in the MS VBA Editor -
    Is it directly under the control of vba or coming from the Regional
    Parameters or perhaps both?

    Alain (France)

    news:%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    alf bryn
    Guest

    Re: Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

    Hi Alain79

    Have you tried <Alt> 0167, on my PC (Excel 2002 Enlish version) I get §

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Alain79
    Guest

    Re: Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

    Yes you're right
    I was trying ALT 167 that gives º while ALT 0167 really give §
    Thanks for that...

    I can effectively change my code that way and test the result...
    but this does not prevent me from having to face the same problem with some
    other Char such as with the french "é" and it is not that comfortable to
    change this letter everywhere it is used by ALT 0XXX especially when it is
    inside a name...
    I have started to analyse some ASCII Tables above 128 and the one I have got
    supposed to be the most used one does not have the § !!!
    If you know more about that, thanks
    Alain

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    alf bryn
    Guest

    Re: Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

    I use Excel (Word will also do) to find the ASCII code.

    Goto "Insert" -> "Symbol" in the "box" with the all the symbols you will
    also find the ASCII code for the symbol you select.

    Try to enter this ASCII code in a Cell. If it works fine, if not I try
    entering a 0 first and then the numbers.

  11. #11
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Problem in compiling code containing "$" char

    In the immediate window, type:

    ?ASC("§")

    On my machine it says 167

  12. #12
    England
    It sounds as though you have a mismatch between the various keyboard layouts on your machine and the code pages in use.

    Are you using a french keyboard ? What keyboards are the target machines using ?

    Set up your machine in the same was as one of the machines that is failing and see what happens.

    Regards

    Rich