Visual basic unlock "SORT" function in an EXCEL spreadsheet

  1. #1
    Jetty
    Guest

    Visual basic unlock "SORT" function in an EXCEL spreadsheet

    How do I add a string to enable the "SORT" function in the following
    workbook?

    My current string in the spreadsheet is as follows:

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()

    Dim ws As Worksheet
    For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(Array("Key Controls", "NonKey
    Controls"))
    With ws
    .Protect Password:="sox2005", DrawingObjects:=True, _
    contents:=True, Scenarios:=True, _
    userinterfaceonly:=True
    .EnableAutoFilter = True
    .EnableOutlining = True
    End With
    Next ws
    End Sub

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Visual basic unlock "SORT" function in an EXCEL spreadsheet

    In Excel 2002 and later, it is an argument to the Protect methods.

    In earlier versions, you can't enable it. However, you should be still be
    able to sort with code using the UserInterfaceOnly argument.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jetty
    Guest

    Re: Visual basic unlock "SORT" function in an EXCEL spreadsheet

    Thanks for your reply. I have Excel 2003 and
    1) I did try to unprotect the file first
    2) Placed a check mark in the sort box
    3) Saved the file with the password
    4) Closed the file
    5) Re-Opened the file, enabling the macros
    6) The sort function is still disabled

    Any ideas?

    Jetty

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Visual basic unlock "SORT" function in an EXCEL spreadsheet

    Here are the arguments to Protect:

    expression.Protect(Password, DrawingObjects, Contents, Scenarios,
    UserInterfaceOnly, AllowFormattingCells, AllowFormattingColumns,
    AllowFormattingRows, AllowInsertingColumns, AllowInsertingRows,
    AllowInsertingHyperlinks, AllowDeletingColumns, AllowDeletingRows,
    AllowSorting, AllowFiltering, AllowUsingPivotTables)

    You are not setting the AllowSorting argument in your code.

    Here is what help says about that argument:

    AllowSorting Optional Variant. True allows the user to sort on the
    protected worksheet. Every cell in the sort range must be unlocked or
    unprotected. The default value is False.

  5. #5
    Jetty
    Guest

    Re: Visual basic unlock "SORT" function in an EXCEL spreadsheet

    Thanks Tom for your help! It works!
    Jetty