Macro to insert formula result into range with zero values in cell

  1. #1
    JPS
    Guest

    Macro to insert formula result into range with zero values in cell

    I have a column with possible Values A thru F for example. I need to insert
    any of A thru F (whatever is there) into another range where there are cells
    equal to zero in that range (column). There can only be one copy of A thru F
    in the new range. Please help if you can, I am blocked on this project. I
    appreciate any help given. If this is more appropriate in worksheet
    functions, please advise. Posted only in programming.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Macro to insert formula result into range with zero values in cell

    I am having trouble visualizing what you are doing. Can you explain it a bit
    clearer?

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JPS
    Guest

    Re: Macro to insert formula result into range with zero values in

    I hope this helps. I have finally derived a 31 row column of
    percussion/instruments/vocals that I use weekly for a large music production.
    I have compared them to last weeks list and they have been matched in the
    same location/row number that they occupied last week so that the musical
    instrument cabling doesn't change if the musical instrument is being used
    again this week. So I now have another column of musical instruments,
    vocalists and percussion instruments that are being used this week that are
    in need of placement. Row numbers 1-18 are percussion, row 19-24 are
    instruments, and rows 25-31 are vocals. The extras for the week have been
    identified as percussion, instrument, and vocal. Now I need to put them
    where they belong with some overlap if needed, ie, row 1-19 could be
    percussion, or row 18-26 could be instruments.

    I finally derived this formula to get rid of the #N/A that was coming up in
    my vlookup when I would get no hit/match
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($H2,$F$2:$G$50,2,0)),0,VLOOKUP($H2,$F$2:$G$50,2,0))
    I end up with cells containing zero where I am not using what was used last
    week.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macro to insert formula result into range with zero values in

    Is this better

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($H2,$F$2:$G$50,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP($H2,$F$2:$G$50,2,0))

    Bob Phillips

  5. #5
    JPS
    Guest

    Re: Macro to insert formula result into range with zero values in

    Bob,

    Thank-you, but problem wasn't with the formula. I do want the zero instead
    of the #n/a. The issue is inserting the extra unplaced instruments mentioned
    above in the cells egual to zero. Can you help with that?

    JPS

  6. #6
    DoctorG
    Guest

    Re: Macro to insert formula result into range with zero values in

    Do you mean that you want to be able to add more instruments to the second
    list but only as long as they aren't already there? A "unique" approach that
    doesn't allow duplicate instruments on the second column?

  7. #7
    JPS
    Guest

    Re: Macro to insert formula result into range with zero values in

    Doctor G,

    This should not be a problem because I have already matched instruments
    previously. Now I olnly need to place the instruments that did not match
    this week/ie they are instruments not used last week and not already in the
    list. Please help if you can.

    JPS

  8. #8
    DoctorG
    Guest

    Re: Macro to insert formula result into range with zero values in

    I cannot visualize what the spreadsheet looks like, what information is your
    unique key for your vlookup and last but not least the sequencing of the
    inputs. By this I mean where and when you input the necessary info for last
    week and this week and what will be taken out or added next week. Do you keep
    week numbers, dates?

    If you don't mind, set up a "written" 3 instrument spreadsheet (put "Soso"
    in A1, Vlookup(vxvxvxvx...) in G1 and so on) that I can follow to duplicate
    what you have and I will be glad to give it a try.

  9. #9
    JPS
    Guest

    Re: Macro to insert formula result into range with zero values in

    would you like me to email you the spreadsheet.? I could probably clean it
    up and get it to you.

  10. #10
    DoctorG
    Guest

    Re: Macro to insert formula result into range with zero values in

    By all means. Use my gthalass hotmail account.