How to record macro for Solver in Excel?

  1. #1
    Samirkc
    Guest

    How to record macro for Solver in Excel?

    I tried to record a macro for Solver in Excel. After recording the macro, I
    ran it and the message was that the "SolverOK" which is the first word in the
    body is not a defined Sub or function.

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: How to record macro for Solver in Excel?

    You need to set a reference to Solver. Check XL help for any Solver
    function (such as SolverOK).

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    Oscar
    Guest

    RE: How to record macro for Solver in Excel?

    I am having exactly the same problem. The solver works fine when run
    manually, but I get that error message (not a defined Sub or function) when
    included in a Macro. I am using Office XP. I have also tried to run this same
    macro using Office 2000 and it works fine!!! Any ideas of where the problem
    is in Office XP?

    Oscar

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How to record macro for Solver in Excel?

    Have you set a reference to the solver addin? This is the usual cause for
    this problem.

    How to create Visual Basic macros by using Excel Solver in Excel 97

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Oscar
    Guest

    Re: How to record macro for Solver in Excel?

    Tom,

    I continued investigating and discovered that it seems to be a known bug in
    Excel XP. The solution was to use Solv instead of Solver. When I wrote
    SolvOk, SolvAdd, etc. the sentences where identified by VBA.

    Thanks and regards,

    Oscar

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How to record macro for Solver in Excel?

    I have never heard of that. Do you have a reference/Link?

  7. #7
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: How to record macro for Solver in Excel?

    >> .... When I wrote SolvOk, SolvAdd, etc.
    >> ... the sentences where identified by VBA.

    Hi Tom. What the op is doing is bypassing Solver's Vba code, and calling
    the class function directly.
    I have seen a few others mention this, but I have never understood why this
    would work. The vba code portion does very little processing of the input.
    It does very little, and then turns around a calls it's internal functions
    using the same parameters. So, I don't know?? Using SolverOk really
    should work if SolvOk works.
    Sometimes placing "Solver.Auto_open" at the beginning appears to help in
    some situations. But all this does is delete an internal sheet, and
    rebuilds that sheet with the same small amount of data. It really shouldn't
    make a difference as far as I can tell.

    In the vba editor, if you pull up the "Solver" Project/Library, names like
    "SolvOk" are listed on the Solver4 Class module. We use the functions on
    the VBA_Function module, but then again, this does nothing more that turn
    around and calls functions like SolvOK.
    So, I've never really understood why the difference. I just don't see it.

    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

    news:%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How to record macro for Solver in Excel?

    Thanks Dana. Prior to the posting to which you are responding, I did look
    at the object browser and observed what you stated although I don't work
    with Solver that much, so you have added quite a bit. Right after posting I
    also did search these groups in Google and saw you had participated in some
    threads on this issue where the conversation tended to allude to this being
    a problem in the Swedish and Spanish and perhaps some other European
    editions. But as with many empirical conclusions, the cause/true nature
    could be misinterpreted.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...