SLN - Straight Line Depreciation

  1. #1

    SLN - Straight Line Depreciation

    In A I have entered the current year.

    In C I have entered the month of purchase.
    In D I have entered the day of purchase (1st - 31st).
    In E I have entered the year of purchase.
    In F I have entered the amount of the purchase.
    In G I have entered the life of the assets.
    In I I have entered the salvage value.

    In K I have entered the following =SLN(F,I,G)

    What I want to do (with a function if possible):

    I want K to calculate mid-month SL depreciation.
    Let say an assets was purchased on January 16 for $700, with a life of
    7 years. A normal year (full year) would calculate $100 worth of
    depreciation.

    With mid-month depreciation, if an asset is purchased after the 15th of
    the month, you start depreciating the first of the next month.

    In the example above, the depreciation would be $641.67 (700/12*11).

    How do I do this?

  2. #2
    Sean Connolly
    Guest

    RE: SLN - Straight Line Depreciation

    Hi,

    I believe that the answer to the question that you have asked might be
    something like ...

    =IF(D>15,SLN(F,I,G),SLN(F,I,G)/12*11)

    However, please carefully note the Excel Help on the SLN function. The SLN
    function will return the straight-line-depreciation amount for an asset for
    one PERIOD. The PERIOD will be the same as period that you use for the useful
    life of the asset. (i.e. years->years or months->months etc.).

    Are you, perhaps, trying to calculate depreciation chargable in a given
    financial year for an asset that is purchased as some point during that year
    and/or not held for the full financial year?

    Grateful if you could please explain further, because that will *most
    definitely* change the answer ;-).

    Cheers, Sean.

  3. #3

    Re: SLN - Straight Line Depreciation

    I am trying to calculate depreciation chargable in a given financial
    year for an asset that is purchased as some point during that same
    year.

  4. #4
    Sean Connolly
    Guest

    Re: SLN - Straight Line Depreciation

    Thanks for the clarification. If your sheet is set up as described in your
    original post, with the financial year (assuming Jan-Dec) for which you want
    to calculate the annual depreciation chargable for in the rows of Column A,
    then the following formula should do it for you ...

    =IF($E<$A,SLN($F,$I,$G),SLN($F,$I,$G)/12*IF($D>15,12-$C,12-$C+1))

    Assumes also that Column G (useful life) is in years. Using the mid-month
    straight-line-depreciation method and NOT taking into account the possibility
    of any disposals during the year - which you may want to consider (or not!).

    HTH, Sean.

  5. #5

    Re: SLN - Straight Line Depreciation

    Thank you!