Simple +formula not reading value from the reference cell

  1. #1
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Simple +formula not reading value from the reference cell

    This one has me really puzzled.

    Someone has sent me a multisheet workbook, with one of the sheets
    named "LORTS".

    On another sheet there is a formula which simply reads: =+LORTS!H54

    Cell H54 on the LORTS sheet has the formula: =+H46+H52, which
    correctly evaluates to 73.

    However on the other sheet, the =+LORTS!H54 formula returns the value
    76.

    Automatic calculation is switched on. The Tools Options Calc Now (F9)
    manual calculation has no effect. Yet when I F2 to edit the rogue cell
    and enter it back again it changes to the correct value of 73.

    Not sure whether it makes any difference, but the designer of the
    workbook has also given a range name - also "LORTS", to a range of
    cells on the LORTS sheet.

    Can anyone suggest what might be happening here - or more accurately
    not happening!

    I'm using Excel 2003 - SP3

    Usual TIA

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Simple +formula not reading value from the reference cell

    What happens when you do

    Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F9 or Ctrl+Alt+F9

    Tom Ogilvy

    "Richard Buttrey" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Simple +formula not reading value from the reference cell

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:06:26 -0400, "Tom Ogilvy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >What happens when you do
    >
    >Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F9 or Ctrl+Alt+F9

    Mmmm... Thanks Tom.

    Both of those cause the cell to re-calculate to the correct number.

    Have you any idea why the workbook is not automatically
    re-calculating? Automatic calc is enabled . It all seems a bit weird,
    I've never come across anything quite like it before.

    Rgds
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Simple +formula not reading value from the reference cell

    If you are using xl97 and the workbooks contains a UDF, it is possible the
    calculation stream is being interupted by an error in the UDF. I believe
    newer version were more robust, but this is the possibility that comes to
    mind.

    You might go to Charles Williams' site and see what he has

    http://www.decisonmodels.com

    he has some pages of discussion on calculation.

  5. #5
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Simple +formula not reading value from the reference cell

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:00:58 -0400, "Tom Ogilvy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >If you are using xl97 and the workbooks contains a UDF, it is possible the
    >calculation stream is being interupted by an error in the UDF. I believe
    >newer version were more robust, but this is the possibility that comes to
    >mind.
    >
    >You might go to Charles Williams' site and see what he has
    >
    >http://www.decisonmodels.com
    >
    >he has some pages of discussion on calculation.

    Thanks Tom, I'll go and have a look. I'm actually using Excel 2002

    Note for info. If anyone else is following Tom's link, please note the
    typo. it should be

    http://www.decisionmodels.com

    Regards

    __