Email from Excel; MS warning "program is trying to send mail on your behalf"

  1. #1
    KR
    Guest

    Email from Excel; MS warning "program is trying to send mail on your behalf"

    Using Excel 2003 and Outlook 2003

    I just tested code from http://rondebruin.nl/mail/folder3/smallmessage.htm
    in my workbook; while I don't have it fully tweaked to meet my needs (more
    on that below) the first problem I ran into is that it pops up a message
    window that says "program is trying to send email on your behalf; do you
    want this" with a progress bar (I'm not sure if the progress bar is a delay
    in which to respond, or if it is tracking other stuff going on in the
    background, like Outlook still opening in the background). The user then has
    to click "yes" to send the mail.

    My workbook is a tracking log for our company, with various pieces of
    product and their status- who is responsible for what, and when. Right now,
    these people are called or emailed manually based on the information in the
    workbook, so I offered to try to help automate the process by just sending
    emails automatically based on information uploaded into the workbook from
    other data sources. Having the user respond to these email prompts isn't as
    efficient as I'd like, when my goal is to automate. I understand the reason
    for this warning (to keep a hostile macro from sending email or spam without
    your knowledge) but is there any way with a self-cert or other method for
    Excel/Outlook to recognize that you are doing this intentionally, and not
    give the warning? When the macro is run weekly, this could be dozens of
    emails. My less desirable alternative (because it would be a bunch more
    code) would be to save all my email messages to a text file, then trigger an
    outlook macro to open that file and cycle through and send out the emails.

    The other question I have, if anyone knows- does the code on Ron's page
    require a full email address, or is there anything I can do to resolve
    internal email by UserID? When I type my UserID in Outlook it knows who to
    send it to, but so far I haven't gotten this code from Ron's page to do the
    same. Not sure if I can use UserID via VBA, or if I am stuck with a full
    address (myName at company.com). I have everyone's userID in my workbook,
    but not their external email addresses.

    Thanks!
    Keith

    --
    The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent the
    thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Email from Excel; MS warning "program is trying to send mail on your behalf"

    Hi KR

    See
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/prevent.htm

    I don't know about the UserID

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    KR
    Guest

    Re: Email from Excel; MS warning "program is trying to send mail on your behalf"

    Ron- thanks for the tip on the warning message. I'll keep playing with the
    UserID and see if I can figure anything out.
    -and as always, thanks for your contributions to this group and via your
    site.
    Best,
    Keith

    news:[email protected]...