Save excel file as another format file

  1. #1
    ExcelReport
    Guest

    Save excel file as another format file

    Dear,

    I run the following codes, but I can not save the file, and get an error
    message. Why?

    Dim xlExcelbook As Excel.Workbook
    xlExcelBook.SaveAs "C:\test.txt", xlTextMSDOS

    Err.Number : 1004
    Err.Description: Application-defined or object-defined error

    I have tested some file format.

    They are OK.
    xlExcelBook.SaveAs "C:\test.xls"
    xlExcelBook.SaveAs "C:\test.htm", xlHtml
    xlExcelBook.SaveAs "C:\test.csv", xlCSV
    xlExcelBook.SaveAs "C:\test.txt", xlUnicodeText

    They can not work, and get an error message.
    xlExcelBook.SaveAs "C:\test.csv", xlCSVMac
    xlExcelBook.SaveAs "C:\test.csv", xlCSVMSDOS
    xlExcelBook.SaveAs "C:\test.csv", xlCSVWindows
    xlExcelBook.SaveAs "C:\test.txt", xlTextMac
    xlExcelBook.SaveAs "C:\test.txt", xlTextMSDOS
    xlExcelBook.SaveAs "C:\test.txt", xlTextWindows

    Thanks advance!
    Liu jianzhong

  2. #2

    Re: Save excel file as another format file

    What version of excel are you using?

    If you go into the VBE and hit F2 to see the object browser and search for
    "fileformat", do you see your format constants on that list.

    (I'm wondering if some of the constants changed from one version to the
    next--and you're using the newer constant.)

    ps. your snippet of code worked ok for me in xl2003.

  3. #3
    ExcelReport
    Guest

    Re: Save excel file as another format file

    Dave Peterson,

    My excel is Excel 2003. I follow your instruction, and get the constants:
    (They are OK)
    xlWorkbookNormal -4143
    xlHtml 44
    xlWebArchive 45
    xlXMLSpreadsheet 46
    xlCSV 6
    xlCurrentPlatformText -4158
    xlUnicodeText 42
    xlTextPrinter 36

    (They can not work)
    xlCSVMac 22
    xlCSVMSDOS 24
    xlCSVWindows 23
    xlTextMac 19
    xlTextMSDOS 21
    xlTextWindows 20

    I write the source code as follows:
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs "C:\test.txt", xlTextMSDOS
    or
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs "C:\test.txt", 21

    Best regards!
    Liu Jianzhong

  4. #4

    Re: Save excel file as another format file

    As I wrote before, your code worked for me in xl2003.

    Any chance that it's something else that's causing the error?

    I tried a few things, but I could never get that error--so I don't have a guess
    what it could be.

  5. #5
    ExcelReport
    Guest

    Re: Save excel file as another format file

    Dave Peterson,

    I send you a excel file that contains a VBA program as follows. Could you
    please test it for me in your excel.
    Sub test()
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs "C:\test.txt", xlTextMSDOS ' Error,
    Err.Number=1004
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs "C:\test.txt", 21 ' Error,
    Err.Number=1004
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs "C:\test.txt", xlCurrentPlatformText 'OK
    End Sub

    Thanks for your help!
    Liu Jianzhong

  6. #6

    Re: Save excel file as another format file

    I didn't get the file and probably wouldn't have opened it anyway.

    But I tried your code and all worked fine.

    I did have to click on the ok prompt to overwrite the existing file for the 2nd
    and 3rd lines, though.