Named Ranges

  1. #1
    William Benson
    Guest

    Named Ranges

    Hello, I am naming ranges using the ThisWorkbook.Names.Add method and while
    I can later view them in a list of Names when I use the command sequence
    Insert Name Define, I cannot see them when I hit F5 or Control-G to 'Goto'
    them. Can someone please explain what extra steps I might need to take to be
    able to see them in the Goto box?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Named Ranges

    Resolved, sorry:

    I had named the ranges without the equal sign in front of the naming string,
    and this caused the workbook to accept them as some other kind of Name --
    for whate purpose I do not know, but I assume that is a feature -- and not
    as a range.

    Sorry for anyone's trouble...

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Named Ranges

    William,

    What is happening here is that by omitting the = sign, you are creating a
    name, but it is not referring to a range, but rather a variable. This can
    be very useful as a feature for storing variables within a workbook, such as
    VAT wherby you can store a VAT.

    A more detailed explanation can be found at
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Names.html

    RP

  4. #4
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Named Ranges

    Bob, thanks. I have read your article there and it is great. I plan to refer
    to it until I become more comfortable with Names, I certainly see the value.

    news:O%23eO%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Named Ranges

    Just re-read my reply, classic phrase

    a variable such as VAT whereby you can store a VAT.

    Obvious or what <vbg>

    RP

  6. #6
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Named Ranges

    Heh heh...

    I learned so much from your post and your article Bob, it really was timely.
    It made all the difference in the world to the project I just completed.

    Using VBA to build Name formulas was a piece of cake (once I learned the
    hard way that the RefersTo property is quite literal and does not share the
    same conversion that VBA runs the .FormulaR1C1 through.

    Thanks again!!

    news:O%[email protected]...