Linking Dinamic Cell value into another sheet

  1. #1
    KT
    Guest

    Linking Dinamic Cell value into another sheet

    Hi,

    I am working on a model where I integrate Microsoft Excel and Microsoft
    Project. There is a constantly changing resource data in Microsoft project. I
    have written a VBA code in Project to export the required data into an Excel
    sheet. The exported data does not comprise of a standard column set; in other
    words, the number of columns varies according to the necessity. There is a
    cell containing the total value at the bottom of the last column. This cell
    value should be linked to a cell in another sheet. Since there is
    inconsistency in the number of imported columns, the location of this cell
    keeps shifting making it difficult to link to another sheet. Can anybody
    think of any suggestions? Any help would be really appreciated.

    Thanks
    KT

  2. #2
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: Linking Dinamic Cell value into another sheet

    I can think of a few possible solutions: First, if the layout of your
    Project data on the sheet meets a few simple criteria you may be able to use
    a simple worksheet formula: For example, if the data is in a table of
    continuous rows + columns with no blanks (at least in the header row and the
    first column) and if there is nothing else on the sheet, you could use the
    COUNTA function to count the rows and columns, and this could be the formula
    for your total value (use the actual sheet name instead of ProjectDataSheet,
    of course):
    =OFFSET(ProjectDataSheet!A1,COUNTA(ProjectDataSheet!$A:$A)-1,COUNTA(ProjectDataSheet!$1:$1)-1)
    Another solution would rely on modifying the VBA in Project to somehow count
    the columns and rows of data (assuming that can be done) and to store those
    counts in specified cells in your spreadsheet. Then you can use the same
    type of formula I show above to find the cell - just use the stored values
    instead of the COUNTA functions.
    Finally, if there is an identifying column header, e.g. "TOTAL", and an
    identifying row label, e.g. "GRAND TOTAL" that will ALWAYS be there - and
    NEVER anywhere else - that identify the last column and last row, you could
    use the MATCH function to find those labels and then use the OFFSET to find
    the cell, for example:
    =OFFSET(ProjectDataSheet!A1,MATCH("GRAND
    TOTAL",ProjectDataSheet!$A:$A,0)-1,MATCH("TOTAL",ProjectDataSheet!$1:$1,0)-1)
    --
    - K Dales