Scaling for printing

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Scaling for printing

    I am working on a macro that temporarily hides rows and columns for printing. On one print 'job' i need to increase the scaling (as if going to file, page setup, scaling, adjust to) and set to change to what ever i have pre-defined the scale to be. After i print, i need to set it back to whatever it originally was.

    I searched for this on the forum, but didn't find something that was exactly what i need. Any help for this novice much appreciated!

  2. #2
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Scaling for printing

    Have you tried to use the PageSet-Up to set the print to:
    Fit to x pages wide & y pages tall
    You can do this manually or in code.

    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond
    "chris100" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Thanks SteveB, that works great for the first page but for the second (where columns are hidden), only half the page is filled up. I'm pretty sure i can't use the same settings (pages high by pages wide) for both so would have to change one temporarily.

    Is this possible at all?

  4. #4
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Scaling for printing

    Almost anything is possible in Excel.
    The issue is solving "How to get there from here!"

    If you can think of a systematic way of doing it manually -
    you can transform it into code.
    Sometimes just recording what you do and than editing the
    code is enough to do it.

    And this site is a great place to solicit help.

    So - let us know how you would do it and we'll help
    build some code...

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Hi SteveB

    Thanks for the advice. I just recently figured out how to record macros and adapt the code to my needs. Good method for my level of programming. In this case, like you say, i just recorded the macro - went through the steps and cut and paste into my own macro. Looks a little messy but works all the same.

    Thanks to all who give help here.

  6. #6
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Scaling for printing

    Chris,

    Looking good...

    The next step in your progress is to learn how to eliminate any selecting.

    example
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

    becomes
    Range("A1").Copy _
    Destination:=Range("B1")
    or
    Range("B1")=Range("A1")

    And if you specify sheet names - you can do this between sheets
    Specify workbook names - and you do this between workbooks.

    Of course this is a very basic example...

    Keep on Exceling...

  7. #7
    okaizawa
    Guest

    Re: Scaling for printing

    Hi,

    if your setting for printing(hidden column, scaling, etc) are all the same
    everytime, custom view (View > Custom Views) also might help you.
    you can select a view from the built-in dropdown on toolbar.
    to switch automatically, write a few code, for example,

    ActiveWorkbook.CustomViews.Add ViewName:="normal", _
    PrintSettings:=True, RowColSettings:=True
    ActiveWorkbook.CustomViews("print").Show
    ActiveSheet.PrintPreview
    ActiveWorkbook.CustomViews("normal").Show

    About viewing workbooks and worksheets

    HTH,

    okaizawa

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    okaizawa,

    Thanks for the help. Will try a few differnent ways.