Macros & alternatives

  1. #1
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Sorry, but I'm of the opinion that any company that disallows macros is
    stupid. I wouldn't want to work for them even part time.
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    "Mangesh Yadav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I have a spreadsheet which uses macros extensively. Now if a particular
    > company has a policy which does not allow macros, what is the alternative
    > for my spreadsheet.
    >
    > I know the question is bit unclear regarding the policies, but even I

    don't
    > know how this is done. Another question I have is: when a particular

    company

  2. #2
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    What do your macros do?

    If a company doesn't allow macros then it would seem you are probably
    out of luck. You could try signing your workbook with a digital
    certificate and they may then accept it.

    Disabling the user's ability to change their macro security level is
    probably how they would "not allow" macros, but that seems a little
    short-sighted if applied as a global setting.

    Tim

  3. #3
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Macros & alternatives

  4. #4
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Hi Tim,

    Thanks for the response. Even I thought on the same lines regarding the
    digital certificate. But other than that there seems no way out.

    As for my macros, its basic calculation and other stuff which is repetitive
    in nature. Till then will wait for some more responses.

    Mangesh

    news:#[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Patrick Molloy
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    You could instantaite Excel in VB or C#, then with the Rxcel objetc, open and
    manipulate the workbook.
    Relatively painless in VB as the Excel object library should be referenced
    and thus the VBA that you are used to becomes available.

    VB Example
    Open Visula Studio / Visual Basic 6.0
    start a new starndard exe
    set a refenerence to Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library
    add a button & the following code:

    Option Explicit

    Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Dim xl As Excel.Application
    Dim wb As Excel.Workbook
    Dim ws As Excel.Worksheet

    Set xl = New Excel.Application

    Set wb = xl.Workbooks.Add

    Set ws = wb.ActiveSheet

    ws.Range("B2") = "Hello World!"

    xl.Visible = True

    'clean up & quit -- leave excel visible
    Set ws = Nothing
    Set wb = Nothing
    Set xl = Nothing

    End
    End Sub

  6. #6
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Hi Patrick,

    Thanks for your suggestion. Have never done something like this. But will
    definitily try out a small example now. And also wait for some more
    suggestions before I take some decision.

    But thanks all the same once again.

    Mangesh

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Mangesh,

    Maybe they would allow office COM addins(they are not actually macro's
    but compiled code). you still might need to sign them digitally though.

    DM Unseen

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Mangesh,

    Many system administrators will restrict the functions of products and the
    OS, so that the average user is functionally crippled, as part of company
    policy. Such restrictions include the ability to set date and time, to add
    system variables, etc., and within Excel to run macros by setting the
    security setting to high and stopping the ability to change that.

    In this instance, if you want to manipulate Excel spreadsheets via code, I
    think you will have to do it externally via automation. That is, create an
    application using an approved tool, such as VB, that uses Excel as a server
    app, and manipulates it from within your app. It is very straight-forward,
    the main learning exercise is to be aware of which object you are
    addressing, and reference properly at all times.

    Of course, this still leaves the problem that the user will not be able to
    install it, the CD drive will be disabled as well if not even sealed, so you
    will need the co-operation of the system administrators for that. They might
    say no, they might say yes but insist on testing it themselves, or they
    might say yes. As you need their co-operation, you could also ask them about
    whether they would install a COM add-in, or a simple Excel add-in. Whatever
    way, your first action should be to discuss with them, otherwise you might
    just be wasting your time and effort.

    Bob Phillips

  9. #9
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Hi Patrick,

    I tried a small example which launches my excel sheet, somthing like

    Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Dim xl As Excel.Application
    Set xl = New Excel.Application

    xl.Workbooks.Open "d:\my_excel.xls"
    xl.Visible = True

    Set xl = Nothing
    Unload Me

    End Sub

    And I turned security settings to high, disabled the check boxes in the
    "trusted sources" tab.

    The above code opened the my excel file nicely, and allowed me to work with
    all macros.

    Why does this happen, I mean although opening excel directly does not allow
    the macros, whereas the above code does it finely. I am not a tech guy so
    this went above my head.

  10. #10
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks. This is all quite new to me, but yes, I think I have learnt quite a
    lot from this post. I will definitely explore all these ideas, and come back
    to you. I have tried Patrick's suggestion, and it seems to take me in the
    right direction.

    Thanks to you once again.

    Mangesh

  11. #11
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Hi DM Unseen,

    Thanks for your suggestions. I will have to explore all these options.

    Mangesh

    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Bob,
    How would an admin lock the user's security setting at high ?

    NickHK

  13. #13
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Bob,
    What I mean is how would they "remove the ability to change it" ?

    NickHK

  14. #14
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

  15. #15
    Erasmus Bowen
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    We threw away tons of macros when we discovered Pivot tables.
    And when we discovered that Pivot tables can re-read from external data, we
    threw away even more.
    I've hardly touched a macro in years and the only time I do is when they
    start going wrong during Excel version upgrades

    Erasmus

    news: [email protected]...

  16. #16
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    By restricting access to the registry settings?

    Tim

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA

  17. #17
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Hi Erasmus,

    Before I discovered macros, I already knew about Pivot Tables. And no, I
    cannot replace my macros with pivot tables

    But thanks anyway for your response.

    Mangesh

    news:[email protected]...

  18. #18
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Hi Tim,

    If "restricting access to the registry settings" is done, then will there be
    a problem launching and excel application through a VB (as explained in an
    earlier post in this thread).

    something like what Patrick has shown below:

    "Patrick Molloy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You could instantaite Excel in VB or C#, then with the Rxcel objetc, open

    and
    > manipulate the workbook.
    > Relatively painless in VB as the Excel object library should be referenced
    > and thus the VBA that you are used to becomes available.
    >
    > VB Example
    > Open Visula Studio / Visual Basic 6.0
    > start a new starndard exe
    > set a refenerence to Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library
    > add a button & the following code:
    >
    > Option Explicit
    >
    > Private Sub Command1_Click()
    > Dim xl As Excel.Application
    > Dim wb As Excel.Workbook
    > Dim ws As Excel.Worksheet
    >
    > Set xl = New Excel.Application
    >
    > Set wb = xl.Workbooks.Add
    >
    > Set ws = wb.ActiveSheet
    >
    > ws.Range("B2") = "Hello World!"
    >
    > xl.Visible = True
    >
    > 'clean up & quit -- leave excel visible
    > Set ws = Nothing
    > Set wb = Nothing
    > Set xl = Nothing
    >
    > End
    > End Sub

    Mangesh

    news:#[email protected]...

  19. #19
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Carrying on from here.....

    Lets say I have a VB application which launches my excel file. Now my macros
    mainly consist of
    1. Event modules for each sheet.
    2. User forms
    3. UDFs
    4. Standard modules

    Suppose I want to protect my business logic (which resides in the standard
    modules), one way is ofcourse to protect the VBA with the password (which I
    don't know how safe it is). But is there any way where I can convert these
    modules into kind of executables so that the user cannot manipulate the code
    in these standard modules. And also allow the code to run on the click of a
    button in the worksheet as if I am running a standard macro.

    Mangesh

  20. #20
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Mangesh,
    Even launching Excel from VB, you still have Excel macro code, which is
    against policy.
    You will need all the code to reside in your VB app, no code associated with
    Excel. You will have manipulate the Excel object model from outside (your VB
    app) rather than inside (macro code).

    Nick

  21. #21
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Mangesh,

    The registry restriction should not be a problem as long as your app does
    not try to write to the registry. What is being referred to is registry
    settings that Excel would change if you modify its configuration, such as
    security settings, these are locked down precisely so that you cannot change
    the configuration. Your app shouldn't need any such access.

    Bob

  22. #22
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    If you want to protect your code, a VB app of some sort, executable or COM
    addin is what you need. But as I mentioned earlier, you will still need
    system admin co-operation to get these installed. The problem here is that
    you cannot insert code in the Excel worksheet, as it is still macros, and if
    the security setting is high, it won't run.

    Bob Phillips

  23. #23
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Hi Bob,

    As I mentioned earlier, if you launch the excel file from a VB app, then it
    runs all the macros even though the settings are high (or macros are
    disallowed).

    And thanks for your suggestions.

    Its just that at present I don't know the setup at the client's place. They
    have a policy that macros are not allowed. So at the moment I don't know if
    this is ensured technically (i.e. the user just cannot change the security
    settings). I just wanted to know the available alternatives for me before I
    can speak to them. Anyway, will come back again when I get stuck. Thanks for
    the help.

    Mangesh

    news:#[email protected]...

  24. #24
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    Hi Nick,

    Yes, thats my point. What does the policy mean. As I was replying to Bob,
    does it mean that if you have a policy of no macros, then the user cannot
    change the security settings, but if there is a technical workout, and you
    have a digital certificate, then the user can run my excel app.

    Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

    Mangesh

  25. #25
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macros & alternatives

    As ever, it is a pleasure.

    Good luck with your discussions. Also, remember, the system admin guys will
    know about policy and how to manage it within the OS, but it is unlikely
    that they will be that conversant with Excel, so they will look to you to
    lead them in that area. Show a positive understanding of their situation,
    clarity in what you need to do, and you will be amazed at how much you can
    achieve.

    Regards

    Bob

  26. #26