set "value if true" to "fill cell with color"

  1. #1
    Feeta
    Guest

    set "value if true" to "fill cell with color"

    I want to use an IF statement to check for text in a cell range and if true,
    then fill a cell with a highlight color. In my application, I would look for
    "PD" in invoice date fields and if found, highlight the amount invoiced in
    green. I don't know the snytax to write the return value as "fill this cell
    with color".

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: set "value if true" to "fill cell with color"

    You can't do what you want in the way that you describe, that is, with a
    formula. Have a look at conditional formatting. That will do what you
    want.

    Assume that your invoice dates are in column C, starting in row 2. In Cell
    D2, or whatever:

    Format | Conditional Formatting... | Condition 1: Formula is | =C2="pd"

    Change the format as required, for example, Format | Patterns = green

    Copy the formatting to the other cells you want to highlight.

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: set "value if true" to "fill cell with color"

    Check out Conditional Formatting...

    No code required. Just use a formula condition.

    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond

  4. #4
    Feeta
    Guest

    Re: set "value if true" to "fill cell with color"

    Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate the detail you
    provided.

  5. #5
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: set "value if true" to "fill cell with color"

    You're welcome, thanks for the feedback.