Where can I find the Function names in other languages

  1. #1
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Where can I find the Function names in other languages

    I have a function that searches on a string that makes up a function name say
    "=IF(". Now lets assumed that I can do this perfectly, ignoring any string
    search shortfalls of VBA (I know I can use Regular Expressions too).

    If I am doing this in a version of Excel that is not English say French, the
    IF Statment will likely not be the english IF. As such a search for "IF(" in
    a french version - or any other version - of windows is not likely to be
    productive. If I wanted to build a search function that looked for "IF(" in
    every language version of Excel, what would be the best way of doing this?
    Would I:

    1) create a sub that recognises what language version I am in, then pass the
    correct function spelling for that function in that langauge to a variable
    and search on it
    2) Or are the functions just simply backed by a general library that can be
    referenced (say a ref number that is common to all IF statments in all
    languages versions of Excel?

    If need be where can I get the function names across all languages?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Where can I find the Function names in other languages

    If you do this from VBA, you might look through the .Formula property of all
    cells. This property is always the English version, as opposed to the
    FormulaLocal property.
    If you want to use the Find method of Excel, you may benefit from
    keepITcool's utility to translate functions. You can download it at

    http://members.chello.nl/keepitcool/addins.html

    Of course you can find all translations for your local version and back by
    using the .Formula and .FormulaLocal properties.
    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Where can I find the Function names in other languages

    sForm = range("B9").Formula
    iloc = Instr(1,sForm, "=IF",vbTextcompare) Then

    The results of the formula property will always be in English.

    functions are stored as OP codes. So they are language independent, but you
    can't access them to the best of my knowledge. If you are using the FIND
    method of the range, then I guess you would need to know what the name for
    "IF" is.

    I believe KeepItCool has a listing of the translation of function names in
    many languages.

    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Where can I find the Function names in other languages

    Hi ExcelMonkey,

    See KeepItCool's TranslateIT addin at:

    http://members.chello.nl/keepitcool/download.html

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    "ExcelMonkey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I have a function that searches on a string that makes up a function name
    >say
    > "=IF(". Now lets assumed that I can do this perfectly, ignoring any
    > string
    > search shortfalls of VBA (I know I can use Regular Expressions too).
    >
    > If I am doing this in a version of Excel that is not English say French,
    > the
    > IF Statment will likely not be the english IF. As such a search for "IF("
    > in
    > a french version - or any other version - of windows is not likely to be
    > productive. If I wanted to build a search function that looked for "IF("
    > in
    > every language version of Excel, what would be the best way of doing this?
    > Would I:
    >
    > 1) create a sub that recognises what language version I am in, then pass
    > the
    > correct function spelling for that function in that langauge to a variable
    > and search on it
    > 2) Or are the functions just simply backed by a general library that can
    > be
    > referenced (say a ref number that is common to all IF statments in all
    > languages versions of Excel?
    >
    > If need be where can I get the function names across all languages?
    >

    > Thanks

    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    RE: Where can I find the Function names in other languages

    Thanks all. Very helpful. Two last questions.

    1)Is it possible to change the setting in my Excel so that it runs in
    another language. That is, i want to see it they way the do in other
    countries. Or is this a Windows setting. I would like to do some testing
    in these other versions. I want to know if it is as simple as flicking a
    swich on my own computer.

    2)When I reived an excel file from another country (say France), it will
    likely be in French. Is it possible in Excel to view that file from my
    english windows/excel in English or does it only view in the language that it
    orginated in (French)?

    Thanks again all!

  6. #6
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Where can I find the Function names in other languages

    1) You can change the language of the user interface only when you have the
    Multilingual package, which is only distributed with corporate versions of
    Office. But if you have the French version, you can display the English
    formula with a UDF which returns the .Formula property

    2) The French workbook you receive will be displayed in the language of your
    local version; it will be "translated" automatically. The internal
    representation of formulas is independent of your language. There are a few
    tricky things. All literals are suspect: format codes (like those for dates)
    like in the TEXT function, cell addresses in INDIRECT functions if they are
    in R1C1 style, etc. Also the Analysis Toolpak functions will not be
    translated.

  7. #7
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Where can I find the Function names in other languages

    how is there a GIF attachment on this post? or doesn't it show for anyone
    but me?

    The file was not viewable to me, by the way.
    news:%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Where can I find the Function names in other languages

    Hi Bill,

    > how is there a GIF attachment on this post?

    I do not know. I never (intentionally) add attachments, and had either of
    the reponses from Niek or Tom been visible to me, I would not have not have
    added my voice.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman