if until requirement met

  1. #1
    stefan via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    if until requirement met

    Hi,
    the user is required to enter data in one cell as ##/## i.e. 04/04
    I would like to restrict the cell input to that and prompt the user if/how to
    enter data.
    I also want to embed this into a makro.
    something like
    If cellvalue <> "##/##"
    then msgbox "Please enter date in this format ##/## i.e. 04/04"
    Else
    msgbox "Good Format"
    ...and continue with the code once the data was inot correctly.
    i cant figure out how to do this. Thank you for your help.
    stefan

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: if until requirement met

    Hi Stefan,

    Adopting a different approach, why not show a calendar control, when the
    relevant cells are selected, and then use or format the resultant input as
    required.

    For example code, see Ron de Bruin popup Calendar page at:

    http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: if until requirement met

    An alternativel to Norman's suggestion is to go with Data Validation. Someone
    can probably come up with a more elegant formula than mine:-

    1) Select the Data menu
    2) Select Validation
    3) Select the Custom option from the Allow dropdown list
    4) Enter the following formula in the formula window. Unfortunately, you
    will have to type it in. The window won't accept copy and paste.

    =AND(LEN(A1) = 5,
    ISNUMBER(VALUE(LEFT(A1,2))),MID(A1,3,1)="/",ISNUMBER(VALUE(RIGHT(A1,2))))

    5) Enter suitable text for Input Message and Error Alert. See these tabs.

    Regards,
    Greg

  4. #4
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: if until requirement met

    Hi Greg,

    > 4) Enter the following formula in the formula window. Unfortunately, you
    > will have to type it in. The window won't accept copy and paste.

    Using Ctrl-V, I had no problem pasting you formula into the DV window.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: if until requirement met

    Further to my post:
    The cell involved apparently needs to be formated as text. Note Norman's
    technique for pasting a formula to the Formula window. I never knew that.
    Glad I posted.

  6. #6
    stefan via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    RE: if until requirement met

    Hi Greg,
    This is excellent! I love it.
    You wouldnt happen to know a magic formula to require 6 or 16 characters
    (numbers, but entered as text) for validation like this?
    Thanks.
    Stefan

  7. #7
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: if until requirement met

    Thanks a million pointing that out Norman !!!

    I can't get it to work when I copy directly from a worksheet, whether using
    Ctrl-V, the right-click menu or through the Edit menu. Apparently, Excel
    kills what's on the clipboard when copied from a worksheet (i.e. when in
    CutCopy mode) when dialogs are opened. The same holds for the Conditional
    Formatting forumula window and the named range "Refers to" window.

    So, the answer appears to be to write your formulas in a code module, then
    copy and paste to either of the above using Ctrl-V. After all this time I
    never knew that. This will be extremely useful.

    Looks like I will benefit more from this post than stephan. Please advise if
    I'm missing something. Thanks again.

    Best regards,
    Greg

  8. #8
    stefan via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    RE: if until requirement met

    using a "regular formula" i came up with this
    =IF(LEN(E15)=6,LEFT(E15,2)&"xx xxxx xxxx "&RIGHT(E15,4),IF(LEN(E15)=16,LEFT
    (E15,4)&" "&MID(E15,5,4)&" "&MID(E15,9,4)&" "&RIGHT(E15,4),"NOT CORRECT"))
    but i'm not sure how, if possible, to work it into the validation!?
    Stefan

  9. #9
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: if until requirement met

    Assuming by six you mean "###/###":

    '=AND(LEN(A1) = 7,
    ISNUMBER(VALUE(LEFT(A1,3))),MID(A1,4,1)="/",ISNUMBER(VALUE(RIGHT(A1,3))))

    Assuming by 16 you mean "########/########":

    '=AND(LEN(A1) = 17,
    ISNUMBER(VALUE(LEFT(A1,8))),MID(A1,9,1)="/",ISNUMBER(VALUE(RIGHT(A1,8))))

    I advise that you copy the formulae and paste to, say, a code module (not a
    worksheet), then correct for wordwrap. Copy again after correcting the
    wordwrap and paste to the formula window using Ctrl_V as per Norman's advice.

    Regards,
    Greg

  10. #10
    stefan via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    RE: if until requirement met

    Hi Greg, I apologize, i feel like rainman now.
    the input would ocure in the same cell (your A1 - my E15), either as
    ######
    or
    ################ (16x #) actually, since excel cannot work with 16 digit
    numbers, the cell IS formatted to text and the formatting would actually be
    @'s instead of #'s

    Once the data was input as shown above the output would change to
    @@xx xxxx xxxx @@@@ or
    @@@@ @@@@ @@@@ @@@@

    The formula i have does check and format as wanted, but i dont know how to
    apply this to datavalidation.
    ..=IF(LEN(E15)=6,LEFT(E15,2)&"xx xxxx xxxx "&RIGHT(E15,4),IF(LEN(E15)=16,LEFT
    (E15,4)&" "&MID(E15,5,4)&" "&MID(E15,9,4)&" "&RIGHT(E15,4),"NOT"))
    Thanks and greeting from Nevada.

  11. #11
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: if until requirement met

    I'm still not sure I know what you're trying to do. Mainly the " xx xxxx xx "
    has me confused. This is my take:

    In the code module for the worksheet paste this code:

    If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E15")) Is Nothing Then
    If Len(Target) = 6 Then
    Target = Left(Target, 2) & " xx xxxx xx " & Right(Target, 4)
    Else
    Target = Left(Target, 4) & " " & Mid(Target, 5, 4) & " " & _
    Mid(Target, 9, 4) & " " & Right(Target, 4)
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

    Format Data Validation for cell E15 as before except use this formula:
    =OR(LEN(E15) = 6, LEN(E15) = 16)

    Include appropriate text for the Input Message and Error Alert as before.

    Note that the Data Validation prevents anything other than 6 or 16 character
    entries. So the above Worksheet_Change code has been simplified.

    Regards,
    Greg

  12. #12
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: if until requirement met

    Hi Greg,

    I had no problem using a worksheet as the source, providing I copied the
    formula from the formula bar (F2, Ctrl-C, Enter, and then paste using Ctrl-V
    as before.)

    I often use this technique for complex defined names too.

    ---

  13. #13
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: if until requirement met

    Thanks again Norman. I obviously havn't applied much lateral thinking on this
    issue. I suspect I'm in the minority for not discovering this. I came to this
    conclusion early on when I was a novice and have never assumed any different.
    Better late than never !!!

    To reiterate, this post will be of more benefit to me than to stephan.

    Regards,
    Greg