Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

  1. #1
    GFN
    Guest

    Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    I have a macro that looks for pdf files from within the directory where the
    active excel file is. It works when the excel file is on the desktop, but it
    doesn't work when moved to the d: drive.

    I've tried it on another computer and it works where ever I put the excel
    file.

    Is there a setting that I need to fix in order for it to run.

    GFN.

  2. #2
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    GFN,
    Is D: a CD ?
    Also "it doesn't work" means what ?

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    GFN
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    No, it's a hard drive.

  4. #4
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    GFN,
    OK, but what does "it doesn't work" mean ?
    A few more details would help.

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Edam Netherlands
    Post your code please...

  6. #6
    GFN
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    The code is below. I am having problems when it gets to the .filesearch
    part. It is now writing the headings and the last part that tells the number
    of files found, but it's not doing the .filesearch function.

    Sub ListPDFs()
    'This Macro lists the pdf files in the current directory
    'including the subdirectories

    'Clear out all cell in the sheet
    Cells.Clear

    'Add headings
    Worksheets("Directory").Activate
    Cells.Clear
    With ActiveSheet.Range("A1:d1")
    .Value = Array("Filename", "Size", "Date/Time", "Path")
    .Font.Bold = True
    End With
    test = CurDir
    'Search for pdf files in current directory
    With Application.FileSearch
    .NewSearch
    .LookIn = CurDir
    .SearchSubFolders = True
    .Filename = "*.pdf"
    .Execute

    NumberOfFiles = .FoundFiles.Count
    Row = 1
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
    Application.StatusBar = "Working on " & (i) & " of " &
    NumberOfFiles
    Row = Row + 1
    'Puts file names, sizes, and dates, and path into row
    CurrentEntry = .FoundFiles(i)
    For j = Len(CurrentEntry) To 1 Step -1
    If Mid(CurrentEntry, j, 1) = Application.PathSeparator
    Then
    Cells(Row, 1) = Mid(CurrentEntry, j + 1)
    Exit For
    End If
    Next j
    Cells(Row, 2) = FileLen(CurrentEntry)
    Cells(Row, 3) = FileDateTime(CurrentEntry)
    Cells(Row, 4) = CurrentEntry
    On Error Resume Next
    Next i

    End With
    ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Name = "FileList"
    With Cells(Row + 2, 1)
    .Value = "There are " & FormatNumber(FilesToProcess, 0, vbFalse,
    vbFalse, vbTrue) & " PDF files in the current directory."
    .Font.Bold = True
    End With
    Cells(Row + 3, 1) = test

    Application.StatusBar = False
    End Sub

  7. #7
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    GFN,
    Code works for me.
    It would help if you declared your variables.
    Or better force it Option Explicit. Check Tools>Options>Require Variable
    Declaration.

  8. #8
    GFN
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    It works fine when the excel file is located on the c: drive. But it doesn't
    list the files when the file is located on my d: drive (second hard drive).
    Is there something going on with the macro security setting in some other
    place than excel?

  9. #9
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    GFN,
    What do you get, an error or .FoundFiles.Count=0 ?
    Can you see the .pdf in Explorer ?

  10. #10
    GFN
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    I guess .foundfiles.count is returning a zero.

    With windows explorer the files are displayed okay.

    There are no errors.

  11. #11
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    GFN,
    Just because your workbook is opened from the D: drive, it does not mean the
    CurDir="D:".
    What is the value of CurDir ?

    NickHk

    "GFN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I guess .foundfiles.count is returning a zero.
    >
    > With windows explorer the files are displayed okay.
    >
    > There are no errors.
    >

    > "NickHK" wrote:
    >
    > > GFN,
    > > What do you get, an error or .FoundFiles.Count=0 ?
    > > Can you see the .pdf in Explorer ?
    > >
    > > NickHK
    > >
    > > "GFN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > It works fine when the excel file is located on the c: drive. But it

    > > doesn't
    > > > list the files when the file is located on my d: drive (second hard

    > > drive).
    > > > Is there something going on with the macro security setting in some

    other
    > > > place than excel?

    Variable

    > > ..filesearch

    the

    " &

    row

    Step -1

  12. #12
    GFN
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    the last output of the code shows the correct directory.

    d:

  13. #13
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    GFN,
    What about CurDir("D") ?
    What if you use the Dir(D:\MyFolder\*.pdf) instead of the FileSearch?
    What about .LookIn="D:"

    I can't see any reason other than you are looking in the wrong place or
    there are no .pdf files.

  14. #14
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    Hi Nick,

    > I can't see any reason other than you are looking in the wrong place or
    > there are no .pdf files.

    There have been many reports of problems with filesearch.

    See, for example:

    http://tinyurl.com/azx42

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  15. #15
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't run from d: drive, but works on c: drive

    Norman,
    I can't say that I use the .FileSearch in Office. If I need such
    capabilities, I use a recursive VB/Dir routine that never has these
    problems.

    NickHK

    news:OLnBkQ#[email protected]...

    &