Formula to reference sheet number base on cell

  1. #1
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Formula to reference sheet number base on cell

    I've done this before, but I can't remember how. I need to reference a
    sheet number based on another cell.

    For example:
    ='Sheet1'!A1+A2

    In my situation, I need to reference the Sheet number where the number will
    be in a cell. Let's say that the number "1" is in A5. In my formula above
    I need something that will say Sheet & A2 which will be "Sheet1".

    How can I do this?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Formula to reference sheet number base on cell

    You are looking for INDIRECT... Since you have used it before I will not go
    into the details...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: Formula to reference sheet number base on cell

    Well I figured out the simple formula. However, I'm having trouble fitting
    it into a larger scale formula.

    Here is what I've got.
    ="Sheet"& ROW(INDIRECT(AH1&":"&$AH$1))

    I'm not sure if that is exactly right, but it works.

    Now I need to fit that into a larger formula, but I'm having trouble. Here
    is the current formula.

    =RIGHT('Sheet1'!A1,(LEN('Sheet1'!A1)-(LEN(AF1)+40)))

    Where it shows "Sheet1", I need to fit in the Indirect formula that I listed
    above.
    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Paul