stop excel file opened as read only if already opened by another u

  1. #1
    bobm
    Guest

    stop excel file opened as read only if already opened by another u

    hello,

    how do i prevent an excel file being opened as read only if the file is
    already opened by another user. this particular file is on the file server
    and accessed by multiple users.

    What I want is an alert if the file is already opened which says the file
    cannot be opened as read only and click ok to close. the alert to inlcude the
    username who has the file opened.

    workbook sharing is not an option as it breaks my various vba macros

    appreciate any help...

    cheers

  2. #2
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: stop excel file opened as read only if already opened by another u

    Play with this code (place it in your wb open code)

    If ActiveWorkbook.ReadOnly Then ActiveWorkbook.Close FalseEnd If
    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bobm
    Guest

    Re: stop excel file opened as read only if already opened by anoth

    thanks ...that works

  4. #4
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: stop excel file opened as read only if already opened by anoth

    You're very Welcome!

    Keep on Exceling....

  5. #5
    East Anglia
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: stop excel file opened as read only if already opened by another u

    worked for me too!!!