validation - how to show the second column

  1. #1
    Alex
    Guest

    validation - how to show the second column

    I've highlited a column and put a validation having the range in a different
    spreadsheet. In the spreadsheet with the range I have to columns - Code and
    Description. But, for the validation I'm using only the first Code column for
    data entries.
    The validation is working well but a user entering Code can see only Code.
    It would be nice to show the user the Description as well - not for entries
    but just to see the Code's description.

    How could I show the user the second column?

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: validation - how to show the second column

    Hi,
    You could use VLOOKUP to display description in adjacent column to
    Code entry.

    Code in Column A, Description to be placed in B, then in col B - starting
    row 2, put:

    =F(iserror(vlookup(A2,MyTable,2,false)), " ",vlookup(A2,MyTable,2,false))

    where "MyTable" is named range containing Code and Description.

    Copy down in column B.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Alex
    Guest

    RE: validation - how to show the second column

    Thanks a lot Toppers.
    But, I wouldn't like to enter the data from the Description column. I'd like
    just to show it to the user during the Code entries as in MS Access for the
    second (or more) not bound column in a combobox.

  4. #4
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: validation - how to show the second column

    Using the worksheet change event you could try several options.

    restrict the change event by using

    Dim str as String
    If Target.Address = $A$1 ' set to cell adress of Data
    Validation
    str = worksheetfunction.Vlookup(target,LookupTable,2,2false)
    With Target.Validation
    .InputMessage = str
    End With

    End Sub

    or you can use a variation on this to create or edit the cells comment,
    making sure that
    the comment is visible at all times (or only visible when the cell is the
    active cell)

    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond