# of letters in a string

  1. #1

    # of letters in a string

    Is there anyway to tell how many letters are in a string? More specifically, I have a userform where the user enters a string into a textbox. The textbox will only accept a total of 10 letters. When the string variable gets passed to my sub routine, I need to know how many letters are in that string.

    If I can determine how many letters are in the string, if there are less than 10, I then want to add spaces to the end of that string to make it 10 characters long.

    For example, if I enter:
    "August" (6 characters) - it will then change it to "August____" (_ = " ")
    "California" (10 characters) - it will not add any spaces

    TIA for any help,

    DejaVu

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: # of letters in a string

    sStr = Left(sStr & " ",10)

    Tom Ogilvy

    "DejaVu" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: # of letters in a string

    msgbox len(sStr) gives the number of characters in the string held in
    variable sStr (just for completeness)

  4. #4
    Stefan Hojnowski
    Guest

    Re: # of letters in a string

    Or you could do the following:

    sStr = sStr & Space(10 - Len(sStr))

  5. #5
    Thanks to both of you... your help is much appreciated.

    DejaVu

  6. #6

    # of letters in a string

    Str = Len(string)

    Syntax LEN will provide the actual number of characters within a string
    Example # = len(activecell)