Need help with complicated use of count background color of Cell

  1. #1
    Jane
    Guest

    Need help with complicated use of count background color of Cell

    Need help with complicated use of count background color of Cell

    I have 3 spreadsheets within a workbook:

    CountSummary is sheet1
    Men is sheet2
    Women is sheet3

    CountSummary counts the data based on the color of the background colors in
    the Men and Women spreadsheets

    Men consists of data for John and Rob. The information related to each are
    separated by a black filled cell which I use to separate their data.

    Women consists of Jane and Mary formatted the same as “men”

    In the “men” worksheet ….If the current month is AUG find previous month
    (i.e. JUL) in row 3 in columns F thru Q. [note the months are text in row3
    and formatted as Jan Feb Mar Apr May etc.]. [The real “previous month” date
    formula is located in Cell A3 and is formatted “mmm”] Then in column A find
    “John” and count all cells in the previous month with bright green background
    and stop counting or looking for green when you hit the first black
    background in that same column, then in COUNTSUMMARY sheet look for the row
    labeled “John” in column A and place the total count in COUNTSUMMARY in
    column H in the same row as “John” and change background of that cell to
    bright green. If the count is 0 then 0 IS NOT displayed and the background
    does not change color.

    Then follow that same procedure but now count red cells and follow same
    procedures as above but put in column P.

    Then I need to do the same thing for “Rob”.

    Then I need to go to the “Women” spreadsheet and do the exact same thing for
    “Jane” and “Mary” and have the count information placed in the correct cell
    in SHEET1.

    Any ideas on how to do this without having long winded VBA code? Thanks in
    advance. I hope I made sense.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Need help with complicated use of count background color of Cell

    How are your cells colored? Do you actually change the background color or
    do you use conditional formatting. If using conditional formatting, why not
    build a formuila in CountSummary that uses the same condition. If the
    separation of John and Rob is dynamic, is there nothing in the data which
    can be used to determine John and Rob on a row by row basis. (even if there
    is a cell at the top of each section with their name)

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jane
    Guest

    Re: Need help with complicated use of count background color of Ce

    I actually have 6 colors in all that I am needing a count on, all in
    different columns. I am unsure of what options I have regarding conditional
    formatting although I am quite familiar with it. I'm not sure I understand
    what you are saying though with my overall limited knowledge. Since
    CountSummary is counting green in one column and red in another column
    whatever your idea is just may work. Would you elaborate on what you are
    thinking? Thanks so much. You guys are so helpful it is absurd for us
    needing help. Your advice is absolutely invaluable. Do you ever get more
    than a Thank you?

  4. #4
    Henry
    Guest

    Re: Need help with complicated use of count background color of Cell

    Jane,

    See my reply in your other thread.

    Columns(5 + (Month(Date) - 1)).Select will select to the column with last
    month's name in row 3

    Henry

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Need help with complicated use of count background color of Ce

    If looking for John/Jane is apropriate, then I look for all 4 names to
    determine the start row. For John, I use the row before Rob to determine
    the end row. Similar for Jane. For Rob and Mary, I use the last row in the
    used range. Anyway, it worked for me based on my understanding of your
    description.

    Sub CountColors()
    Dim shts(1 To 2) As Worksheet
    Dim v(1 To 2, 1 To 2) As String
    Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long
    Dim sh As Worksheet
    Dim mnth As String
    Dim dte As Date
    Dim col As Variant, rw As Variant
    Dim rw1 As Variant, rw2 As Variant
    Dim tot As Long

    v(1, 1) = "John"
    v(1, 2) = "Rob"
    v(2, 1) = "Jane"
    v(2, 2) = "Mary"
    Set sh = Worksheets("CountSummary")
    Set shts(1) = Worksheets("Men")
    Set shts(2) = Worksheets("Women")
    dte = DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date) - 1, Day(Date))
    mnth = Format(dte, "mmm")
    For i = 1 To 2
    col = Application.Match(mnth, shts(i).Range("F3:Q3"), 0)
    col = col + 5
    For j = 1 To 2
    tot = 0
    rw = Application.Match(v(i, j), shts(i).Columns(1), 0)
    If j = 1 Then
    rw1 = Application.Match(v(i, 2), shts(i).Columns(1), 0)
    Else
    rw1 = shts(i).UsedRange.Rows(shts(i).UsedRange.Rows.Count).Row + 1
    End If
    tot = 0
    For k = rw To rw1 - 1
    If shts(i).Cells(k, col).Interior.ColorIndex = 4 Then
    tot = tot + 1
    End If
    Next
    rw2 = Application.Match(v(i, j), sh.Columns(1), 0)
    If tot > 0 Then
    sh.Cells(rw2, "H").Value = tot
    sh.Cells(rw2, "H").Interior.ColorIndex = 4
    End If
    Next j
    Next i

  6. #6
    Jane
    Guest

    Re: Need help with complicated use of count background color of Ce

    Thanks again Henry. I read what you wrote in my other thread and I know how
    to apply it but I don't even know how to start this vba. See I write a
    report each month, say in Aug, based on the numbers from the previous month,
    Jul. I have a lot of vba already set up to handle other things that I have to
    work with my current set up. I'm guessing sumproduct would some how be
    involved since I've used that before but I just have not learned enough yet
    to set this up. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Mike Fogleman
    Guest

    Re: Need help with complicated use of count background color of Cell

    Jane, perhaps your lack of Excel knowledge has caused you to seek a method
    to solve the problem in an obscure way. Excel is a powerful number cruncher,
    not a coloring book. The color is there for highlighting, emphasizing and
    visually appealing, not for basing your calculations. If you would explain
    what you have, where you have it, and where you want to go with it, in black
    & white terms, then we may be able to show you the most efficient way to get
    you there. Once you're there, you can color it 'till your heart's content.
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but I believe you came here to learn how
    Excel can work for you, and I think you took a wrong turn in how to best use
    it. So now, Jane, gather up your problem and explain it to us as if we were
    blind.

    Mike F

  8. #8
    Jane
    Guest

    Re: Need help with complicated use of count background color of Ce

    I get what you are saying. I didn't think it through. I can do conditional
    formatting on the CountSummary sheet but can you still help me with the vba
    of counting from the other sheets and that whole procedure? Thanks.

  9. #9
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Need help with complicated use of count background color of Ce

    Searching for applied conditional formatting is extremely difficult in VBA.
    If your colors are applied with conditional formatting, then you should be
    doing your count based on the underlying condition and not the color of the
    cells. then you would probably be better to use formulas instead of VBA as
    I originally suggested.