Last Saved Date and Time

  1. #1
    Kim
    Guest

    Last Saved Date and Time

    I created a function in Excel to display the "Last Saved Date and Time" in a
    cell. The code is as follows:

    <
    Function LastSaved( )
    LastSaved = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties.Item(12)
    End Function

    After saving the modified file, the cell displays the "Last Saved Date and
    Time". I tried to modify the file another time and saved it. The cell however
    does not change to the new date and time. But this was reflected under the
    File -> Properties -> Statistics.

    How can I update the cell to continuous display the right date and time
    whenever the "Save" button is clicked ?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Last Saved Date and Time

    This is because saving a file does not trigger a worksheet calculation, and
    it doesn't update when there is some calculation triggered by other changes,
    so your function doesn't update. You can force a recalc with Ctrl-Calc-F9,
    or you can add Application.Volatile to the function so that it gets
    recalculated on an F9 or when some other change occurs that does trigger a
    recalc.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Andibevan
    Guest

    Re: Last Saved Date and Time

    Could you not also put calculate in the beforesave event? If you ordered it
    correctly you could actually get it to calculate after it had saved the
    file?

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Last Saved Date and Time

    Good thought Andi, that should work.

    Kim,

    This is the code that Andi refers to

    Boolean)
    Application.Calculate
    End Sub

    'This is workbook event code.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Andibevan
    Guest

    Re: Last Saved Date and Time

    Bob,

    Would that not calculate it before it saves? Therefore it would show the
    time of the previous save.

    Would this work:-

    Boolean)
    cancel = true

    Application.Calculate
    ActiveWorkbook.Save

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Last Saved Date and Time

    Andi,

    It's good someone is on the ball.

    This should do it

    Boolean)
    Application.OnTime Now + TimeSerial(0, 0, 1), "ReCalc"
    End Sub

    and add this proc to a standard module

    Sub Recalc()
    Application.CalculateFull

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Last Saved Date and Time

    Also Andi, this seems to work no better. It doesn't even seem to save it.
    Disabling events helps but still leaves it after the event.

    But this works, better than the Ontime way

    Boolean)
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Cancel = True
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    Application.CalculateFull
    wb_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

  8. #8
    Kim
    Guest

    Re: Last Saved Date and Time

    I've tried the last suggestion by Bob.
    The date and time doesn't change when I saved the worksheet.

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Last Saved Date and Time

    Did you put the code in ThisWorkbook code module as stated in original
    posting.