textbox setfocus and select current contents

  1. #1
    rcmodelr
    Guest

    textbox setfocus and select current contents

    I have a VBA application for Excel I use to check load counts from farms in
    the plant's run schedule.

    The Userform has one multipage form where page 1 gets the Run Date, Farm
    Name & Number, then 8 textboxes each, for House Number, Birds/house, Crew
    catching the house, Bird Weight, and total weight coming out of the house.

    At the bottom of the userform, it shows the projected load net weight, load
    count, & number of cages to expect on the last load at the selected catch
    count.

    Page 2 of the MultiPage breaks down the bird count, load & last load cage
    count by crew.

    I have it so when the OK button is clicked, it will place the data into a
    worksheet, then select page 1 of the multipage, and setfocus on the run date.
    ( RunDate.Setfocus )

    BUT... if the user TABS into the RunDate or any other TextBox, the system
    will AUTOMATICALLY select ALL the textboxes current contents so if I type a
    letter, it will replace EVERYTHING in the textbox with what I type.

    I WANT this to happen when page1 is already shown and the RunDate takes
    focus. But using RunDate.Setfocus ONLY places the cursor INTO the RunDate
    Textbox where it was last time I tabbed out of the RunDate textbox.

    How can I get it to have the RunDate textbox take focus the SAME WAY it does
    when it takes focus by TABBING INTO the RunDate textbox? I've tried every
    way I could think of including trying ALL the RunDate textbox properties set
    in literally EVERY available setting, but no matter HOW the textbox settings
    are configured, when the textbox takes focus with the .Setfocus, it will ONLY
    place the cursor into the textbox where it was last time, and trying to use
    other properties such as .copy won't accomplish this either.

    Only way I've found that SOMETIMES (but NOT ALWAYS) works is if I have Page2
    showing when I click OK. But even then, ONE time, it will work and setfocus
    to the RunDate box on page1 with the RunDate contents highlighted for
    overtyping, next 3 or 4 times, it will be JUST LIKE other attempts, just
    placing the cursor IN the RunDate textbox but in a way where if I start
    typing it just ADDS what I type to what is already in the RunDate textbox.

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: textbox setfocus and select current contents

    >>How can I get it to have the RunDate textbox take focus the SAME WAY it
    >>does

    when it takes focus by TABBING INTO the RunDate textbox?

    You might run this code when the text box is selected:

    Private Sub TextBox1_Enter()
    With TextBox1
    .SelStart = 0
    .SelLength = 500 ''anything >= to len of text
    End With

    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    rcmodelr
    Guest

    Re: textbox setfocus and select current contents

    Thanks... That's similar to what I found to do what I wanted...

    Here's the code I used (found while looking up on Excel Help for another
    task I wanted to add to the program...

    MultiPage1.Value = 0
    RunDate.SelStart = 0
    RunDate.SelLength = RunDate.TextLength
    RunDate.SetFocus

    This way, it selects exactly as many characters as were previously in the
    textbox which is what I wanted.

    I'll try it this way for a while, and since most of the time, the Month and
    Year of the RunDate, I may decide to revise it again so only the DAY portion
    of the RunDate gets selected. But I'll most likely leave it ALL selected so
    it won't end up confusing anybody else if I decide to let my boss start using
    it to calculate the load counts...

    About 2 years ago (before I had ever done ANY Excel or VBA programming, he
    asked me if I could develope a program for doing this and I told him I was
    sure I could develope such a program eventually (after I figure out how to
    program in VBA, which took me about 1 week before I had my FIRST VBA program
    working FLAWLESSLY. ALL the weighmasters now use it each day to set up the
    spreadsheet for the following shift). I think what I have will do what he
    wants, but he never made any mention of any type of pay bonus or anything if
    I was able to make a program like this, so I might just let him know I got it
    done, and show him how well and easily it works, but also let him know that
    if he wants to start using it, MONEY TALKS. Since I only get the standard
    weighmaster pay (which is almost $1.50/hr LESS than I got with my former job
    before DOT's weight limit changes forced me to the weighmaster job. If I'm
    going to be expected to do computer programming BESIDES the normal
    weighmaster duties, I should get paid something MORE than standard
    weighmaster pay.

  4. #4
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: textbox setfocus and select current contents

    >>I should get paid something MORE than standard weighmaster pay.

    I couldn't agree more.<g> However let's hope the boss reacts well to being
    able to see but not have. Could be interesting. Hopefully he sees the
    value in what you do and you're able to get your point across without making
    him defensive or angry.