Splash Screen Causing Problems

  1. #1
    Kevin R
    Guest

    Splash Screen Causing Problems

    I have an xla file that contains a splash screen (userform) in the
    workbook_open event. This seems to be causing a problem when opening files
    directly from windows explorer. If Excel is closed and I open a file through
    windows explorer, the splash screen appears but the xls file does not open.
    I have to open all files using the File | Open method or first open Excel and
    then open the files through windows explorer. If I take out the splash
    screen I don't have the problem. Any ideas or suggestions on how to correct
    this so that files can be open directly from explorer without having to first
    open Excel? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Splash Screen Causing Problems

    If the splash screen appears, the file is open. Perhaps it is hidden. If
    so, unhide it with your code.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kevin R
    Guest

    Re: Splash Screen Causing Problems

    How do I unhide it with code? The file opened could be any given excel file.
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Splash Screen Causing Problems

    No any. It would only be those files containing a splash screen that are
    exhibiting this behavior.

  5. #5
    Kevin R
    Guest

    Re: Splash Screen Causing Problems

    The splash screen is part of a add-in that contains specially created
    toolbars and macros to run against various excel files. These toolbars and
    splash screen loads whenever excel is opened. When opening a file from
    explorer by double clicking without first opening excel, the splash screen
    shows, the toolbars load, but the file itself doesn't show, only a gray
    background as if no file is open. If I take the Userform1.Show out of the
    code, the file loads just fine. Not sure why the userform is not allowing
    the file to load.

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Splash Screen Causing Problems

    the usual suggestions for problems like this not involving splash screens is
    to look in tools=>Options and insure Ignore Other Applications is not
    checked.

    the second suggestion is to close excel and go to the windows start menu and
    select the run command. Put in

    excel.exe /regserver

    and click OK. This should refresh excels registry settings.

    Perhaps it will help in your case.

  7. #7
    Kevin R
    Guest

    Re: Splash Screen Causing Problems

    I've already went that route and its not the problem in this case. I just
    can't seem to figure out why this is happening. Thanks for the suggestions.

  8. #8
    KR
    Guest

    Re: Splash Screen Causing Problems

    Perhaps post a code snippet from your add-in, specifically code related to
    the opening events and your userform?
    Keith

  9. #9
    Kevin R
    Guest

    Re: Splash Screen Causing Problems

    ThisWorkbook -

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    UserForm1.Show
    End Sub

    UserForm1 -

    Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
    Application.OnTime Now + _
    TimeValue("00:00:05"), "KillTheForm"
    End Sub

    When opening a file from Explorer (with Excel closed), Excel will open,
    display the splash screen, and then go to a gray background without opening
    the file. If I first open Excel and then open the file using File | Open, I
    don't have this problem. Hope this helps and appreciate the help.