User Defined Function (UDF) Tooltip

  1. #1
    Chris Shorrock
    Guest

    User Defined Function (UDF) Tooltip

    Hi, does anyone know if it is possible create custom tooltips for user
    defined functions. I am an Engineer developing an Addin with a few common
    functions. A simple example of a user defined function would be:

    Public Function CircleArea(Diameter as Double) As Double

    CircleArea = 3.1414925 * (Diameter ^ 2) / 4

    End Function

    When Someone types "=CircleArea(" in Excel I want a tooltip to appear and I
    am going to use it to help the user know what the units should be, e.g. in
    this case meters [m]. It's not really practical to rely on the arguments
    when viewed in the function wizard, if it's used!

    Many thanks in advance...
    Chris Shorrock
    Worcester, England.

  2. #2
    Patrick Molloy
    Guest

    RE: User Defined Function (UDF) Tooltip

    when in the IDE, open the Object Browser ( F2) select the VBA Project from
    the object dropdown and you will see the function listed under members. If
    not, select the correct class until you see the function appear in Members.
    Right cklick the function, select Properties and edit the Description. This
    will appear in the sheet in one uses the formula button.

    There probably to add a tool tip - but I've not come accross it outside of
    using C++

  3. #3
    Chris Shorrock
    Guest

    Re: User Defined Function (UDF) Tooltip

    Patrick,
    May thanks you for your reply.
    The description you suggest is visible when the user accesses the function
    via the function wizard. I already have this.
    For familiar functions the user usually types it in without the aid of the
    wizard. For example:
    =SUM(B1:B20) I would normally type in.
    For Excel functions as soon as the first of the parentheses is entered, i.e.
    "=SUM(" a yellow-background with a description of the argument(s) required
    to be passed to the function appears in bold. As you shift through the
    arguments the bold focus moves accordingly. This is the functionality that
    I'd like to add to my UDFs.
    You mention it may be possible to tackle this in C++. I'm not too familiar
    with this language but have some Java experience. I'd be interested to hear
    your ideas.
    Do you know where are the functions such as =SUM() located? I'd like to look
    at the code. I've looked at the AddIn modules such as LOOKUP.XLA but they do
    not have the tooltip functionality either.
    Many Thanks
    Chris

    news:[email protected]...