Super piece of code..At least for me!!

  1. #1
    Arishy
    Guest

    Super piece of code..At least for me!!

    I came accross this code and of course I have a question hope to
    resolve it with your help.

    Here it is

    Public Sub CreateList()
    With ActiveCell
    .Validation.Delete
    .Validation.Add xlValidateList, , , "=" & "ListRange"
    End With
    End Sub

    Put it in standard module

    1. Sheet1 create a botton to activate this macro
    2. sheet2 create a range of one column Say A1:A12 with data say
    Jan,Feb etc Name it ListRange.
    3. Now goback to Sheet1 and at ANY ACTIVE CELL click Botton1
    You will notice the creation of a List (with black Triangle)
    Click on it you will get a list of Jan,.... Select one and you have it
    in the active cell.

    I realy do not know how it works, my question is can I place the
    selected text from the list somewhere else in sheet1 ? say left cell???

    I hope you see the beuty of this code as I did.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Super piece of code..At least for me!!

    the code just uses data validation as you could do manually by selecting a
    cell and doing Data=>Validation in the menu and then selecting the LIST
    option. In you case you would put in

    =ListRange

    Data validation only works on the cell where it is applied - so you could
    not select from the dropdown in A1 and have the selected value appear in B9
    unless B9 had the formula =A1 in which case, it would appear in both
    cells.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    samir arishy
    Guest

    Re: Super piece of code..At least for me!!

    Thank you for explanation.
    I have two posts open regarding the solution for multiple choice
    selection at a certain cell. So rather than repeating here my problem
    which is wrong anyway I have a followup question. Suppose I do a
    "refill" of the list for each cell I am interested in. Can I use this
    routine?

    Example will help

    A1 has "85" B1 is the active cell. Since I can look at
    A1 which is activecell.offset(0,1) I can direct VBA to "refill"
    ListRange" with a different set of data.
    Once I select one choice I want VBA to replace A1 with the result of
    selection. You mentioned if A1 has
    +B1 then I am ok BUT A1 had originally "85" I really do not care once I
    used the value in A1 I do not need it anymore.
    In other word I can insert formula in A1 once I use the value "85" If
    that is no no in VBA or even in any language
    Please put me right...again

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Super piece of code..At least for me!!

    I put a value in a cell
    This updates the choices for data validation in another cell
    I select one of those values
    the selected value appears in the original cell.

    No, that isn't directly supported by data validation. You might be able to
    cobble something together using events.

    tom Ogilvy

    news:%[email protected]...