Automatically Updating Cell Links On A Shared Workbook

  1. #1
    DaveyC4S
    Guest

    Automatically Updating Cell Links On A Shared Workbook

    Hi everyone

    I have a shared workbook which is updated on a daily basis by around 5
    different people on the same network. Some users reconfigure links to their
    own MS Excel files and when they save the shared workbook all appears normal.

    When other users subsequently access the file they see #REF! in the cells
    previously updated with new links.

    I understand that this limitation is documented within Microsoft help and
    the only way around it is to click into each cell containing #REF!

    Is there a way I can provide a facility to automatically refresh these links
    without visiting each cell separately?

    Any help very much appreciated.
    Dave

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Automatically Updating Cell Links On A Shared Workbook

    what about the update links option in Edit=>Links.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    DaveyC4S
    Guest

    Re: Automatically Updating Cell Links On A Shared Workbook

    Hi Tom

    My apologies I neglected to say that there is one more restriction to the
    shared workbook in that it is a requirement that both the workbook and
    individual worksheets remain protected.

    The 'Update Now' button is then greyed out and the links menu only allows
    sources to be opened. Opening the sources has no affect on the linked cells.

    I have tried to configure some code to refresh links but have been
    unsuccessful.

    Dave

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Automatically Updating Cell Links On A Shared Workbook

    you can try

    selecting all cells then

    edit=>Replace
    Replace what: =
    Replace with: =

    use an equal sign in each case. Perhaps this will do what you want. It can
    of course be done with code as well.

  5. #5
    DaveyC4S
    Guest

    Re: Automatically Updating Cell Links On A Shared Workbook

    I had tried this approach as well but although the 'Find' option is available
    within a protected worksheet the 'Replace' option is not.

    Is code the only solution?

    Dave

  6. #6
    DaveyC4S
    Guest

    Re: Automatically Updating Cell Links On A Shared Workbook

    Hi Tom

    Do you have any advice as to the best way of putting code together to solve
    this problem?

    Best regards
    Dave

  7. #7
    DaveyC4S
    Guest

    Re: Automatically Updating Cell Links On A Shared Workbook

    I finally solved this problem using the following code.

    Private Sub RevalidateButton_Click()
    ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink Name:=ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources
    End Sub

    Best regards
    Dave