sorting by sector and find largest 3 number each macro help needed

  1. #1

    sorting by sector and find largest 3 number each macro help needed

    there are 3 columns
    1: name of the company
    2: the sector it belongs (food,beverage...)
    3: net sales

    i want to find out the largest or smallest (doesnt matter) 3 (or 5 whatever) net sales of each sector ( and hide all other rows) (in ascending or descending format)

    is it be so difficult to write a macro like that)
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: sorting by sector and find largest 3 number each macro help needed

    I would avoid the Macro and just use a Pivot Table. Select the Data and
    choose Data -> Pivot Table. Follow the wizard. Place the company and the
    sector in the left hand column. Place the sales in the middle. Right click on
    the sector and choose Field Settings -> Advanced and modify the Auto Show
    options to show only the top 3.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    i dont want to use pivot table because there are many other search criterias based on that dataset and it wont be practical for other users or when the data range changes over time

    it has to be vba code

    thanx in advance

  4. #4
    Vacation's Over
    Guest

    Re: sorting by sector and find largest 3 number each macro help ne

    lots of ways to aproach this. BEST way depends on how it will be used, user
    abilities, do you need choices to asc/desc 3 or 5 shown and so on.

    For starters Data>Sort by sector then by net sales will give you the full
    sorted list.(asc / Dsc choice is yours)

    Then you could throw in an if formula in the next column so if sector
    matches the previous row add one else start again at 1

    say - D3 =If(B3 = B2,D2 + 1,1)
    So now you have a column that shows the running ranking of each sector and
    you can get a macro to hide rows where column D is greater than 3 - for the
    top 3 list
    if sorted desc. & bottom 3 if sorted asc.

    Do not include D column in the sorting

    hope this helps