Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flow chart?

  1. #1

    Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flow chart?

    Is there a way to get a flow chart of the code? I remember flow charting back in school and it was a big help.

    Is there a module or something I can load to get a graphical flow chart?

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flow chart?

    I think you're supposed to create the flow chart before you write the code
    ;-)

    Regards

    Trevor

    "Craigm" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flow chart?

    Do flowcharts work so well in an OO world?

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flow ch

    There is no tool for createing a flow chart from existing code that I know
    of. As Trevor aludes to that would be kind of backwards.

    Bob aludes to the fact that Flow charts are superceded by UML (univeral
    modeling language) for object oriented code. But it seems to me that VBA is
    not true object oriented and most of the code I see is more procedural than
    OO. So Flow charts might help a bit (but will probably get kind of confusing
    when you start dealing with sheet objects, range objects, the active cell and
    the like...).
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  5. #5
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flow chart?

    Bob

    you still have to decide what you want/need to do with the object and under
    what circumstances. I don't think it hurts to have an outline of the
    process you want to implement ... but I must admit that more often these
    days I work it out as I go along.

    I still try to structure my code from the top down and use lots of comments
    which, in my view, is often better than a free standing flow chart that will
    likely never be referred to.

    Anyway, getting hypothetical now ... seems the answer to the OP is "no, no
    tool"

    Regards

    Trevor

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flow chart?

    My point Trevor is that OO is event driven, more interested in inputs and
    outputs, there is not a flow in that sense. Design is important clearly, but
    we have a different design paradigm.

    Bob

  7. #7
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    Re: Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flo

    But VB is not strictly OO. It is in fact very far from it. Try to use UML and
    you will run into a pile of problems because most of the code is not OO but
    rather procedural. Of course who am I to talk I don't do either. I go with
    Trevor and I just comment the heck out of things...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  8. #8
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flowch

    A flow chart can still be a useful tool. When the program responds to an event, it
    follows a sequence of steps, and the flow chart can help the programmer navigate
    these steps. A node in the flow chart may denote a certain condition, where the
    program is awaiting an event, and during which only some events are possible. The
    node may have several branches, corresponding to the possible reactions to events.

    I often draw a quick flow chart, not for documentation as much as to work out a
    tough patch of code.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flo

    I don't think I am arguing with either Trevor's or your approach Jim. I am
    just saying that a flowchart in a real Excel app would be about as useful a
    documentation tool as ... well you can find an appropriate phrase. VBA is
    not object orientation, but it is object oriented IMO, especially when you
    use classes extensively. In such an app, the design is not procedural, it is
    event driven as I said before.

    I agree with Jon (Peltier) in believing that flowcharts might be useful as a
    transient aid in working through a particular logic flow (responding to one
    particular event say), but to document the app, forget it.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...