Number formatting when importing to Excel from Access

  1. #1
    Alicia Rittenhouse
    Guest

    Number formatting when importing to Excel from Access

    I have been trying to import phone numbers and date of births from Access
    into Excel. When I do this the numbers loose all of their formatting. I
    can't even use Excel's formatting to change the way the numbers look. I
    figured out how to do it in Word so I know that there has to be a way to do
    this.

    What it looks like before I import
    (123) 567-8910

    When I get it in Excel
    12345678910

    PLEASE HELP!!!!

    Thanks!!!! Alicia Rittenhouse

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Number formatting when importing to Excel from Access

    If you format the cell using the special telephone number format, the
    appearance doesn't change?

    If so, the the numbers are being stored as text. You can select the column
    and format as general, then do Data=>Text to Columns, select delimited and
    select comma as the delimiter. This should cause the numbers to be
    reevaluated by excel and restored as numbers. Then you can format the
    column with the Telephone Number format.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "Alicia Rittenhouse" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Alicia Rittenhouse
    Guest

    Re: Number formatting when importing to Excel from Access

    Thank You so much!!!! This worked perfectly!!!