Too many decimal places

  1. #1
    lmk
    Guest

    Too many decimal places

    Hello--

    I've got a sizable Excel worksheet that's the source document for a
    complex Word merge document. The Excel cells are formatted as dollar
    amounts with two decimal places. But when the merge happens, some of
    the resulting values in the Word document show with 0-12 decimal
    places. Most of the affected fields are not calculations, but are
    merely repositories for values that were input with two decimal places.

    In Excel, I've tried the Tools/Options/Calculations/Precision as
    Displayed, but that didn't resolve the problem. The resulting merge is
    about 400 pages long, and last year we manually truncated the offending
    cells, an activity we'd prefer not to repeat.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated--thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Too many decimal places

    Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question:

    There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

    Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

    And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
    has instructions here:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/...ngWord2002.htm

    about half way down the page.

  3. #3
    lmk
    Guest

    Re: Too many decimal places

    It worked! Thank you very much! I thought that the Answer Box
    solution wouldn't work with Word 2003, so I tried the field
    codes...only to find that my testing of the DDE option hadn't gone far
    enough. In any event, I won't be afraid to try field coding again
    either.

    Thanks again--you've saved us countless hours!!