Looking up named ranges as an array

  1. #1
    L.White
    Guest

    Looking up named ranges as an array

    Two questions in one day, this is getting ridiculous.

    Anyway I have a named range (UoMrev). Columns C and D. Rows 1 to 100.
    Everything below row 55 is blank. The range is populated by a SQL query so I
    left extra room in case the database grows.

    In cell G5 I have copied the value from one of the cells in Column C. In
    cell G6 I have the following code:
    =IF(G5="","",VLOOKUP(G5,UoMrev,2,1))
    In cell G7 I have the following code
    =IF(G5="","",LOOKUP(G5,UoMrev))

    These two cells do give me the same results. Now here is the data from Cell
    C. Complete and in order from 1 to 55.

    fcpopval
    2GK
    5GK
    5GA
    BLO
    BRD
    BDF
    BOT
    BUN
    CAN
    CRD
    CT
    CS
    CUF
    DOZ
    GAL
    GAK
    GRM
    .5G
    .5P
    HR
    HND
    IN
    KT
    LCU
    LFT
    LY
    LTR
    LOT
    MTR
    MIL
    OZ
    PKG
    PAD
    PR
    PNT
    PNK
    QT
    QTK
    REA
    ROL
    SET
    SHE
    SLE
    SCU
    SPO
    TBS
    TUB
    BAG
    EA
    BOX
    LBS
    SQF

    The values in column D are the following.

    fcpoptext
    2 GALLON KIT
    5 GALLON KIT
    5 GALLON PAIL
    BLOCK
    BOARD
    BOARD FEET
    BOTTLE
    BUNDLE
    CAN
    CARD
    CARTON
    CASE
    CUBIC FEET
    DOZEN
    GALLON
    GALLON KIT
    GRAMS
    HALF GALLON
    HALF PINT
    HOURS
    HUNDREDS
    INCHES
    KIT
    LARGE CUP
    LINEAR FEET
    LINEAR YARD
    LITER
    LOT
    METER
    MILEAGE
    OUNCE
    PACKAGE
    PAD
    PAIR
    PINT
    PINT KIT
    QUART
    QUART KIT
    REAM
    ROLL
    SET
    SHEET
    SLEEVE
    SMALL CUP
    SPOOL
    TABLE SPOON
    THOUSAND
    TUBE
    BAG
    EA
    BOX
    POUNDS
    SQUARE FEET

    Column C is just a group of abbreviations for D. Now, if I place the values
    SQF, LBS, or 5GK into cell G5 I get the correct name as a result. If I place
    2GK, .5G or .5P in then I get #N/A. If I place any other abbreviation into
    G5 I get an incorrect response that varies depending on the chosen value.
    Does anyone know why?

    The whole point of this is that my users are going to select a material from
    a list of materials. When I import the material information from one sheet
    to another it brings in the abbreviation. If I place the abreviation in a
    different cell I can have the visible cell hold the matching name with a
    lookup of some sort.The way the user does not need to remember the
    abbreviation and I don't need to worry about converting the abbreviation
    supplied by SQL when the query runs.

    LWhite

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Looking up named ranges as an array

    =IF(G5="","",VLOOKUP(G5,UoMrev,2,False))

    Ensures an exact match.

    See if that helps.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:%[email protected]...