SUMIF which work's with multiple sheets

  1. #1
    Mikus
    Guest

    SUMIF which work's with multiple sheets

    I need to calculate total hours spent on particular task.
    I have:
    1) Sheet called "tasks" which contains Task name and Task ID
    2)1 sheet for each day i worked in office. So usually i have ~22 sheets.
    Each of these sheets contain TaskID i worked on and hours i spent on this
    task. I name theese sheets after month's day. For example if today is
    thursday 4th of august i create sheet called "4" and then on friday i create
    sheet called "5" and then i come to office again in monday and create sheet
    called "8" and so on... sometimes i work in weekend's too and to identify
    weekend day sheets i enclose weekend days with straight lines - "|". For
    example if i would work on saturday 6th of agust i would call this sheet "|6|"

    What i want to do is perform calculation for each sheet and have total hours
    in Task sheet's column E. Task sheets column A contains ID.

    If i only had to sum tasks for 1 sheet then i could easily do this with
    SUMIF formula, but how do i do this for all the tabs ?

    I came up with idea that i need a macro that would do all the calculations
    each time i activate sheet "tasks" ... only i am not sure about performance...
    maybe it is possible with formulas somehow ?

    Additional info:
    1)there will never be more than 31 sheet from which to sum up data, cuz
    there is only 31 day in month
    2)all sheets which contains data are ALWAYS located to the left from sheet
    named "blank"
    example 1,2,3,4,5,|6|,8,9,10,11,12,...,31,blank
    3)i create that day's sheet each day by running macro which copies all data
    from sheet named blank and names sheet accordingly (as i explained above)
    5)i won't have more than 50 tasks in one month - so there will be on average
    30-40 task ID's for which to do calculation

    To better understand what i am trying to accomplish i will leave copy of my
    workbook here: http:\\www.svara-kontrole.lv\timer_example.xls

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF which work's with multiple sheets

    Mikus,

    You'll likely find life easier (and many tools available to you) if you get
    your data into one sheet. Check out "Data across multiple sheets" at
    www.smokeylake.com/excel/excel_truths.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF which work's with multiple sheets

    the htm didn't make it:

    http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/excel_truths.htm

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Mikus
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF which work's with multiple sheets

    Well, this realy does not help me much!
    I need those multiple sheets...

    Is it really impossible to do what i want with multiple sheets ?