Distributed Addins

  1. #1
    Andy
    Guest

    Distributed Addins

    Hi All

    I have created an addin that will be distributed to users but have a problem
    with how it is working. My OS is Win XP with Excel 2002. Broadly speaking I
    want to achieve the following:

    1. Junior members of staff dump data from our database into Excel and run
    one of the macros in this addin to produce charts and tables from the raw
    data. In addition this macro creates an 'update' button for use later.
    2. This workbook is then saved and the process repeated for different criteria
    3. Senior members of staff at a later date remove 'bad' data from the
    charts' data source.
    4. The senior staff then click the 'update' button on the chart. This runs
    another macro in the addin file that extracts the trendline slope data from
    one of the charts to update a table of regression data so that it reflects
    the changes in the raw data.
    5. The charts and tables are then extracted by secrataries to put in
    publications

    The problem I am having is that when the button is created and the macro is
    assigned to it (in step 1), the full path is assigned. This means, for
    example, that if somebody else were to click the 'update' button in a
    workbook created by me, they would get an error message. The message states
    that the addin file was already opened and that two workbooks with the same
    name cannot be open etc etc. On closer inspection the macro assigned to the
    button contains the full path to the addin file but for its location on my
    machine ie c:\...\Andy\...\Addins. Is there any way of assigning the macro
    name to the button so that it will refer to the local file rather than the
    one on the machine that originally created the button?

    Hope this makes sense!

    Thanks

    Andy

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Distributed Addins

    It would be a much better design to have the add-in create (when opened)
    menubars/menus/toolbars to be used to execute your add-in's macros rather
    than to use buttons on other workbooks.

    Lacking that you may need a macro in your workbook(s) that uses the
    ChangeLinks method to connect the buttons in the workbook to the add-in.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Andy
    Guest

    Re: Distributed Addins

    Thanks Jim, I don't know why I didn't think of that seeing as the add-in
    already creates menus - I'll put it down to lack of experience!

    Andy