Separating a string to two fields

  1. #1

    Separating a string to two fields

    I have a full name column (Last, First) that I need to separate. I need the first name to move one column over. I was thinking about copying everything past the comma to one column over. If anyone could scribble out a macro for me, I would appreciate it!

    I'm really sorry for the simple nature of the question. I haven't used VB since college. Maybe someone has a 4 year old child that could help me out on this one!

  2. #2
    With your list in Column A and nothing in Column B, select the list then use the menus Data>Text To Columns>Delimited. Check comma and space and then click finish.

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Separating a string to two fields

    You are in luck. You don't need a macro. In the worksheet, just pull-down

    Data > Text to Columns...

    and let the wizard assist you.

    Good Luck
    --
    Gary''s Student

  4. #4
    Thanks! That did it. I wish they had more delimiter options, but I can deal with this.