If Then Else

  1. #1
    ryanmhess
    Guest

    If Then Else

    I am trying to figure out how to set my macro to check a certain variable and
    if it meets a specific variable to skip the rest of the macro and end.

    If 'variable = X
    Then 'skip to the end of the macro and end
    Else 'continue on with the rest of the macro

    I also am having trouble with some code I was given earlier.

    Dim sh As Worksheet
    Dim sStr As String

    Set sh = ActiveSheet

    sStr = "\\HCI\HCI Share\C of A's - Building 4\00-RMHTest-6
    ParametersXXXX\"

    If Dir(sStr & sh.Range("B7").Value) <> "" Then
    MsgBox "File Exists"
    Else
    MsgBox "File Does Not Exist"
    End If

    I was told this code would check if the value in B7 was the same as the file
    name saved in the location "\\HCI\HCI Share\C of A's - Building
    4\00-RMHTest-6
    ParametersXXXX\" and if there was a file named the same as the value of B7
    that I would get a message "File Exists" but if there was no file with the
    name as the value in B7 then it would tell me that "File Does Not Exist".

    The code above no matter what value I have in B7 it tells me "File Does Not
    Exist" even if i use a value in B7 that already has a file saved as the value
    in the location given.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Ryan Hess

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: If Then Else

    could it be a problem like:

    ? dir("C:\data6\99budget.xls")
    99budget.xls
    ? dir("C:\data6\99budget")

    The second one returns nothing because it is missing the ".xls" on the end.

    If x = 10 then Exit sub

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    ryanmhess
    Guest

    Re: If Then Else

    That may be the problem Tom however I am not sure how to include the ".xls"
    with

    If Dir(sStr & sh.Range("B7").Value) <> "" Then
    MsgBox "File Exists"
    Else
    MsgBox "File Does Not Exist"
    End If

    to get it to work.

    btw, Thanks for the Exit Sub part, was exactly what I was looking for.
    Ryan Hess

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: If Then Else

    If Dir(sStr & sh.Range("B7").Value & ".xls") <> "" Then
    MsgBox "File Exists"
    Else
    MsgBox "File Does Not Exist"

  5. #5
    ryanmhess
    Guest

    Re: If Then Else

    Thank you very much Tom!

    Ryan Hess

  6. #6
    Curt
    Guest

    Re: If Then Else

    Understand part of it. Am new to this so here goes. Have filesaveas called
    user enters a filename then save a copy as. in between I should check to see
    if file exists. Then call for a diff name if it does or reject however. Not
    sure how to do this. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Curt

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: If Then Else

    How about this

    Sub filesave()
    Dim sFilename
    Dim sNewFilename As String
    Do
    sFilename = Application.GetSaveAsFilename( _
    fileFilter:="Excel Files (*.xls), *.xls")
    If sFilename <> False Then
    sNewFilename = Dir(sFilename)
    If sNewFilename <> "" Then
    MsgBox sFilename & " already Exists"
    Else
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs sFilename
    Loop Until sFilename = False Or sNewFilename = ""

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: If Then Else

    Hi Curt

    Why not use GetSaveAsFilename

    Sub Test()
    Dim fname As Variant
    Dim Wb As Workbook
    Set Wb = ActiveWorkbook

    Again:
    fname = Application.GetSaveAsFilename("", _
    fileFilter:="Excel Files (*.xls), *.xls")
    'On Error Resume Next
    If fname = False Then Exit Sub
    If Dir(fname) <> "" Then GoTo Again
    Wb.SaveCopyAs fname

    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  9. #9

    Re: If Then Else

    And you have another response at your other thead.

  10. #10
    Curt
    Guest

    Re: If Then Else

    Need to save the existing workbook and relocate values for next application
    useing savecopy allows workbook to stay inplace and be updated.
    Thanks much

  11. #11
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: If Then Else

    Don't understand. Are you saying there is still a problem?

    RP

    "Curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Need to save the existing workbook and relocate values for next

    application
    > useing savecopy allows workbook to stay inplace and be updated.
    > Thanks much
    >
    > "Ron de Bruin" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Curt
    > >
    > > Why not use GetSaveAsFilename
    > >
    > > Sub Test()
    > > Dim fname As Variant
    > > Dim Wb As Workbook
    > > Set Wb = ActiveWorkbook
    > >
    > > Again:
    > > fname = Application.GetSaveAsFilename("", _
    > > fileFilter:="Excel Files

    (*.xls), *.xls")

  12. #12
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: If Then Else

    Hi Bob

    > Don't understand.

    Same for me

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  13. #13
    Curt
    Guest

    Re: If Then Else

    RON:
    Want to thank you. A little tweeking with what I had and it works just like
    I wanted it to.
    Thanks Again