Character Limit

  1. #1
    Dylan Moran
    Guest

    Character Limit

    I have a problem with a previously developed worksheet.

    Some fields seem to have a 255 character limit. If you enter > 255 then all
    you get is a display of hashes eg: ###############################.

    Why is there a 255 character limit on my cell? and any ideas how to remove it?

    Changing the formatting of the cell does not alter the 255 character limit.
    Whether formatted as general or text, there is still a 255 character limit
    applied.

    Any help is appreciated.

    --
    I may not know VBA inside out, but from the outside I am looking in.
    Dylan Moran - Melbourne Australia

  2. #2

    Re: Character Limit

    What version of excel are you using?

    xl95 had a maximum of 255 characters per cell.

    xl97+ has a maximium of almost 32k characters per cell.

    But if the cell is formatted as text, then excel has trouble with strings
    between 255 and 1024 characters.

    But if you format the cell as General, it should display normally. (I've never
    seen it fail--so I'd suggest trying it once more.)

  3. #3
    Dylan Moran
    Guest

    Re: Character Limit

    Excel 2002. It is formatted as General. I noted you 255 - 1024 comment and
    did some testing.

    It seems to have trouble with 256-1010 characters.
    Anything either side is ok.

  4. #4

    Re: Character Limit

    Does that mean that you see your string instead of #######'s?

  5. #5
    Dylan Moran
    Guest

    Re: Character Limit

    Either side the string shows.

  6. #6

    Re: Character Limit

    But when it's 300 characters, you see the ######'s or your real string?

  7. #7
    Delhi, India
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Character Limit

    Long Path Tool should hep to overcome this issue. I would suggest you to try it out.

  8. #8
    USA
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Character Limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Moran View Post
    I have a problem with a previously developed worksheet.

    Some fields seem to have a 255 character limit. If you enter > 255 then all
    you get is a display of hashes eg: ###############################.

    Why is there a 255 character limit on my cell? and any ideas how to remove it?

    Changing the formatting of the cell does not alter the 255 character limit.
    Whether formatted as general or text, there is still a 255 character limit
    applied.

    Any help is appreciated.

    --
    I may not know VBA inside out, but from the outside I am looking in.
    Dylan Moran - Melbourne Australia
    u can try using Long Path Tool, its the better way to solving your problem bro